ADVERTISEMENT

The best thing Northwestern did last year...

True, however Northwestern's starting quarterback was injured and the Wildcats had to start 2 backup quarterbacks in the game. It wasn't very good for them. I remember they had quite a bit of turnovers.. But I'm wondering if they had their starting QB, could they have beaten Illinois? I personally think so.

True, however Northwestern's starting quarterback was injured and the Wildcats had to start 2 backup quarterbacks in the game. It wasn't very good for them. I remember they had quite a bit of turnovers.. But I'm wondering if they had their starting QB, could they have beaten Illinois? I personally think so.

Wildcats had to "start 2 backup quarterbacks"? Injuries happen to every team, especially late in the season. Illinois' starting QB was also out. Teams without much depth, like both NU and Illinois, are more affected by injuries than stronger programs.

Beckman might be a complete clown and Illinois football is generally an embarassment, but can anyone tell me why the vastly-overrated Fitzgerald gets a pass in this town? Sorry NU fans, for all his hype and praise, his record is under-whelming.

Did you just compare a coach who has a big ten title multiple bowl trips and a Bowl win over an SEC team to Tim Beckman?

Comparing being a head coach at Illinois and a head coach at Northwestern isn't an apples to apples comparison. In every facet.

Did you just compare a coach who has a big ten title multiple bowl trips and a Bowl win over an SEC team to Tim Beckman?

Comparing being a head coach at Illinois and a head coach at Northwestern isn't an apples to apples comparison. In every facet.

a. If my mention of Beckman in the same paragraph as Fitzgerald came across as a favorable comparison for Beckman, it was not intended to be. Beckman should aspire to be under-whelming.
b. When did Fitzgerald win a Big Ten title?
c. Fitzgerald is 30-42 in conference during his tenure at NU. Sorry, I find that under-whelming. Expectations around NU football changed 20 years ago when Barnett took the Wildcats to the Rose Bowl. Getting bowl births through weak non-conference scheduling and muddling through the conference season doesn't seem deserving of the free pass that Fitzgerald gets in the Chicago media. JMHO.

I will look it up big thought it was one of his first seasons on Evanston.

No worries I know your a smart football guy 1111 just was looking for clarification.

Agreed as an NU fan I should expect better. Don't think it will get much better his year either. Syracuse will be better Stanford is good and so is Duke. They'll be lucky to get 6 wins.

Reactions: 1111SouthFirst
Wildcats had to "start 2 backup quarterbacks"? Injuries happen to every team, especially late in the season. Illinois' starting QB was also out. Teams without much depth, like both NU and Illinois, are more affected by injuries than stronger programs.

Beckman might be a complete clown and Illinois football is generally an embarassment, but can anyone tell me why the vastly-overrated Fitzgerald gets a pass in this town? Sorry NU fans, for all his hype and praise, his record is under-whelming.

It is a little bit harder to get into Northwestern to play sports than it is at U of I.

1111:

Would you prefer the days of Alex Agase, John Pont, the appalling Rick Venturi, Dennis Green or Francis Peay?

As a season-ticket holder, I'm content with 6-6 over 0-11.

Newt,

I can save you some time I think, he was there as a player when they won the Big10 not as a coach. Let's also be honest Northwestern Football has never been the ultimate measuring stick for anything. While Fitzgerald may not be perfect he has led them to a Bowl win(2nd in school history) and the first time ever going to Bowls in 3 consecutive years, and I think two or all three were on New Year's Day. Lastly the guy is the winningest coach in school history with 60 wins. I guess it would be nice to see Northwestern and him more successful than they/he's been, but if history follows more shouldn't be expected but rather appreciated.

I will look it up big thought it was one of his first seasons on Evanston.

No worries I know your a smart football guy 1111 just was looking for clarification.

Agreed as an NU fan I should expect better. Don't think it will get much better his year either. Syracuse will be better Stanford is good and so is Duke. They'll be lucky to get 6 wins.

Pat Fitzgerald is 200% the coach of Tim Beckman. It's not even close...

Pat Fitzgerald is 200% the coach of Tim Beckman. It's not even close...

Where was I comparing him to Beckman?

The days of Pont, Venturi, Green etc. were decades ago. Barnett raised expectations. My point was, why does Fitzee get a free pass in the Chicago press? His conference record is 30-42. No comparison to Beckman here.

Newt,

I can save you some time I think, he was there as a player when they won the Big10 not as a coach. Let's also be honest Northwestern Football has never been the ultimate measuring stick for anything. While Fitzgerald may not be perfect he has led them to a Bowl win(2nd in school history) and the first time ever going to Bowls in 3 consecutive years, and I think two or all three were on New Year's Day. Lastly the guy is the winningest coach in school history with 60 wins. I guess it would be nice to see Northwestern and him more successful than they/he's been, but if history follows more shouldn't be expected but rather appreciated.

Agree 100 times over JW. Couldn't remember if he won or shared a title after he replaced Walker. Thought he tied for one but didn't go to the rose bowl

The days of Pont, Venturi, Green etc. were decades ago. Barnett raised expectations. My point was, why does Fitzee get a free pass in the Chicago press? His conference record is 30-42. No comparison to Beckman here.
NW cranked out a lot of non-conference wins against weak schedules. Poor in conference play alone. Fitz is twice the coach Beckman is. Given the recruiting hurdles at NW, Fitz has done a great job. Plenty an Illini fan would love to have him in Champaign....

Reactions: biglatte
If Illinois is smart when they fire Beckman they should go out and get Chuck Martin but they won't since they won't want to go the MAC route again and it will be a huge mistake. The guy is from the Chicago area, has had and is currently having a ton of succes recruiting in the state and he is a hell of a coach.

Where did I quote you?

Just speaking on the two.

who do u think could be next Illinois coach? If WMU does well again this year, Fleck?

who do u think could be next Illinois coach? If WMU does well again this year, Fleck?
Fleck seems like another Zook, Beckman high energy type guy that should be working at a used car lot. I know he has had success at WMU and has gotten a lot of Chicago area kids to commit to WMU, but I don't think that's the formula at Illinois. I think a lot of Illini fans would rather see an established veteran OC or DC from a BIG or SEC school get a chance to be a HC at Illinois. Chuck Martin is an interesting name for sure.

Fleck seems like another Zook, Beckman high energy type guy that should be working at a used car lot. I know he has had success at WMU and has gotten a lot of Chicago area kids to commit to WMU, but I don't think that's the formula at Illinois. I think a lot of Illini fans would rather see an established veteran OC or DC from a BIG or SEC school get a chance to be a HC at Illinois. Chuck Martin is an interesting name for sure.

PJ Fleck > Beckman, and it's really not close. Yes he's high energy, but Beckman is bumbling and high energy...

PJ Fleck > Beckman, and it's really not close. Yes he's high energy, but Beckman is bumbling and high energy...
That's probably a fair shake, I shouldn't fit him into the same role and character type just based off of the row the boat gimmick and some of the interviews.

That's probably a fair shake, I shouldn't fit him into the same role and character type just based off of the row the boat gimmick and some of the interviews.

Don't get me wrong, I think that stuff is cheesy, but he's a smart guy and players are flocking to him. Beckman is a dolt and seems to win over kids that would go to the state B1G school regardless...

Don't get me wrong, I think that stuff is cheesy, but he's a smart guy and players are flocking to him. Beckman is a dolt and seems to win over kids that would go to the state B1G school regardless...

Not really true, Beckman's in-state recruiting has been significantly less than stellar.

Not really true, Beckman's in-state recruiting has been significantly less than stellar.
I think his point was that he's getting the kids that want to go to Illinois because they want to go to Illinois, not because of him. They aren't getting any big name guys that are instead going to ND, OSU, MSU, Iowa, etc.

I think his point was that he's getting the kids that want to go to Illinois because they want to go to Illinois, not because of him. They aren't getting any big name guys that are instead going to ND, OSU, MSU, Iowa, etc.

This. And kid's who had parents at UI

Reactions: illini14
PJ Fleck would be a huge upgrade over Beckham. He's obviously a great recruiter and his teams that have been mostly with the previous coaches players have made a huge turnaround. Fleck is going to get a chance with a Power 5 team if he keeps trending upwards like he's been at WMU.

Illinois will go the retread bigger name route the next time that is what they are comfortable with: Turner, Zook, Mackovic etc. Illinois is just a bad football job...one good season a decade is about all that has ever been expected

was lose to U of I in their last game. Which ensured the continuation of Tim Beckman on the Illini faithful.

http://deadspin.com/tim-beckman-my-man-what-are-you-even-saying-1721152001
For all the crap Ui and Beckman get on this board I'd be surprised how much worst it would be for them if they actually lost a a game somewhere along the way to northwestern

2014-15

Football (1)
Basketball sweep (2,3)
Baseball sweep (4,5,6)
Wrestling (7)
Track and field (8)
Golf (9)
Tennis (10)
Golf (11)

11-0 against their supposed rival. Go Kitty Cats!

Reactions: Lockport Dad
Well I guess Beckmann didn't get as far as he thought this year!

ADVERTISEMENT