ADVERTISEMENT

Simple question: So who should be preseason #1 team?

There is no purpose in this exercise and to be exact the question was never meant for you to respond. I asked Epic a question based on his response to someone else. Not really interested in the chest pounding discussions about Naz. Was just pointing out predicting 5a/6a championship is a lot more simple than predict 7A/8A. If you read more into it, that is your business.
Ok, Naz expected to be state champs and beat everyone in front of them. They did believe they were the best team regardless of class. Naz's season didn't come as a surprise to its fans or anyone that is connected to them in some way. Did their fans predict 7a/8a title? No, because again that would be pointless as they will never be in 7a/8a. They did predict a state title in whatever class they fell and they were correct in dominating fashion.

Sam Brodner is 5'9.5" he's not getting any big collegiate looks at LB due to that. http://www.studentsports.com/football/2015/05/11/official-opening-chicago-testing-results/
I saw the measure on him at 5' 9", but I've stood next to him. I'm 5' 9.5" and I look up to him. I'm not sure where he'll play or at what position, but he's going to.play on Saturday afternoons in a few years for a big college team. Maybe Illinois or Vanderbilt or Wisconsin. But he'll play for someone. Hope he grows a few more inches by them!

I saw the measure on him at 5' 9", but I've stood next to him. I'm 5' 9.5" and I look up to him. I'm not sure where he'll play or at what position, but he's going to.play on Saturday afternoons in a few years for a big college team. Maybe Illinois or Vanderbilt or Wisconsin. But he'll play for someone. Hope he grows a few more inches by them!
I don't disagree with you, he's an absolute STUD and will fit in somewhere on the d1 level.

how tall is the Jones kid from Phillips who committed to UofI? Also Julian Huff listed ar 5'11" is at Minnesota and impressing

As for Naz never being 7A/8A, they could be............... its up to them.

how tall is the Jones kid from Phillips who committed to UofI? Also Julian Huff listed ar 5'11" is at Minnesota and impressing

As for Naz never being 7A/8A, they could be............... its up to them.
Correct me if I'm wrong, I certainly might be, but you can only petition to go up 1 class. Naz will be 5a next year. So even by that logic they couldn't be 7a/8a. Plus there is zero reason for Naz to even entertain that thought. They've won one state championship in school history, and have like 30 varsity players at a coed school of 720. Not like we're talking about some powerhouse program, sorry Naz fans.

Brodner reminds me of a smaller version of Russ weil. Also I'm just gonna be honest here he's not getting a lot of looks at rb because he white. If you like at what he did at the opening in running in the 4.4s at 212lbs is impressive if he were black his offer sheet would be more impressive plain and simple

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, I certainly might be, but you can only petition to go up 1 class. Naz will be 5a next year. So even by that logic they couldn't be 7a/8a. Plus there is zero reason for Naz to even entertain that thought. They've won one state championship in school history, and have like 30 varsity players at a coed school of 720. Not like we're talking about some powerhouse program, sorry Naz fans.
The request up form mentions no such limitations, only that it has to be a class equal to or larger than the class you would be in based on enrollment. And each year is it's own thing, if as you say they felt they were going to be the best in the state before the season the # of championships should have no bearing on what class they play in. Your answer suggests less confidence than you were previously suggesting.

Personally I dont think I can really choose a solid #1 last year. I think you could make a case for any of the 5A-8A champs. When in question however, I go with the best resume.

The request up form mentions no such limitations, only that it has to be a class equal to or larger than the class you would be in based on enrollment. And each year is it's own thing, if as you say they felt they were going to be the best in the state before the season the # of championships should have no bearing on what class they play in. Your answer suggests less confidence than you were previously suggesting.

Personally I dont think I can really choose a solid #1 last year. I think you could make a case for any of the 5A-8A champs. When in question however, I go with the best resume.
The idea for a school like Nazareth (size, tuition, academic requirements, overall football numbers, lack of traditional success) to petition to go up is perhaps the dumbest thought I've seen on this board. Just completely asinine. We aren't talking about a streak like Rochester, Montini or a history like JCA. Hell we aren't even talking about the history of Batavia, Bolingbrook, Downers South, IC, AC etc. (Naming teams with 1 or a few titles). We are talking about a school with zero in any sport that couldn't field a Soph team and has about 30 varsity kids. You're right they should petition to play up in 8a against schools of 4,000 with no academic entrance requirements or tuition to limit them, schools with 200+ in their football program. That's a tremendous idea...

Last edited:
Reactions: illini14
And that best resume was?
Best resume Providence. SHG resume not as good as Naz and Stevie's regular season dwarfed by Provi. If you looked purely on paper and based on history of programs/classes etc you can say that Stevie #1, Provi #2 but if you watched this teams extensively at a minimum you say Naz competed with all 3, that's the min. I think Naz beats Stevie by 2 scores and is better than Provi but the combo of Boykin/Vevojda would be tough for Naz. Probably a pickem because of the mismatches those two can create but I'd take Naz without too much thought. Flynn Nagel while a different type of receiver was supposedly unstoppable too and well... Jordan Westerkamp is still thanking Naz.

And that best resume was?
I would say Stevie or PC... in the playoffs Stevie beat LA, GBW, and HF. PC's regular season & playoffs was better, but I cant ignore the loss to LA.

Completely disagree with the guy up there claiming that you guys beat Stevie like you did Lemont. It shows a complete disconnection with whats actually going on out there. I think it would have been a hell of a game. Also, I'm pretty sure no one said Naz SHOULD request up to 7A/8A, only responded to the assertion that they never would be. I simply stated that it IS possible, if Naz wanted to and to scoff at the idea works directly against what the same person had been previously saying about being the best at any class.

I would say Stevie or PC... in the playoffs Stevie beat LA, GBW, and HF. PC's regular season & playoffs was better, but I cant ignore the loss to LA.

Completely disagree with the guy up there claiming that you guys beat Stevie like you did Lemont. It shows a complete disconnection with whats actually going on out there. I think it would have been a hell of a game. Also, I'm pretty sure no one said Naz SHOULD request up to 7A/8A, only responded to the assertion that they never would be. I simply stated that it IS possible, if Naz wanted to and to scoff at the idea works directly against what the same person had been previously saying about being the best at any class.
Ok i see your arguement with PC not Stevie though. . The only thing we can go on is common opponent Lake Forest who Stevie beat by 2TDs and Naz running clocked at halftime. I still would have loved to see a Naz-SHG matchup. Could have been a classic.

Ok i see your arguement with PC not Stevie though. . The only thing we can go on is common opponent Lake Forest who Stevie beat by 2TDs and Naz running clocked at halftime. I still would have loved to see a Naz-SHG matchup. Could have been a classic.

Using that Logic, Montini beat JC by 14, PC beat JC by 11 and Naz beat JC by 3. Does that mean Montini has just as good of chance of beating Naz as PC? Common opponents are a good but the rest of the schedule holds more water.

Pretty sure a running clock win is much differnet thatn a 14 point win though. And no your logic doesn't work. Montini lost to Francis 21-0 and again Naz was up 42-0 at half.

It's all hypothetical and opinion based. But I do think Provi would have given Naz matchup fits.

Brodner reminds me of a smaller version of Russ weil. Also I'm just gonna be honest here he's not getting a lot of looks at rb because he white. If you like at what he did at the opening in running in the 4.4s at 212lbs is impressive if he were black his offer sheet would be more impressive plain and simple
Can he flip his hips, can he turn and run? Can he play in space and make someone miss? Can he make someone miss at the BIG Ten level, and not the HS level against 5'9 kids from the Chicago area. Not a whole lot of running backs at the BIG level that just ran over and through everyone. I think those are what matters more.

Well, PC showed they could be beat by LA. Stevie beat LA. Also beat GBW. They showed they could score points and play defense, either or, both, or whatever was needed. Naz also had a close one vs JCA and the Lemont game wasnt as dominating as I would have liked. Lemont typically gets trucked in these. All in all, this was probably the 1st year since 8 classes that I really feel either of the 5A-8A teams would need an NCAA type playoff to determine who the champ would be.

Well, PC showed they could be beat by LA. Stevie beat LA. Also beat GBW. They showed they could score points and play defense, either or, both, or whatever was needed. Naz also had a close one vs JCA and the Lemont game wasnt as dominating as I would have liked. Lemont typically gets trucked in these. All in all, this was probably the 1st year since 8 classes that I really feel either of the 5A-8A teams would need an NCAA type playoff to determine who the champ would be.
Naz having like 15 kids in the hospital the day before may have had something to do with the Lemont game being closer than it should have been.

Pretty sure a running clock win is much differnet thatn a 14 point win though. And no your logic doesn't work. Montini lost to Francis 21-0 and again Naz was up 42-0 at half.

GF,
This is your logic using like opponents. I personally would never use that for an argument because each game is different. I agree more with Bones on individual resume's meaning who they beat and who they lost to. Teams having like opponents would be the last point of reference.

[QUOTE=" All in all, this was probably the 1st year since 8 classes that I really feel either of the 5A-8A teams would need an NCAA type playoff to determine who the champ would be.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this statement 100%.

All.... The resume "thing" does have some merit but it is not the only controlling factor. The last two years as it applies to SHG it was brought up about their schedule by many. The Cyclones seemed to have dealt with it pretty well.... FWIW calpreps shows for 2014 SHG 35 Nazareth 31 at a neutral field. Ratsy

All.... The resume "thing" does have some merit but it is not the only controlling factor. The last two years as it applies to SHG it was brought up about their schedule by many. The Cyclones seemed to have dealt with it pretty well.... FWIW calpreps shows for 2014 SHG 35 Nazareth 31 at a neutral field. Ratsy
Naz beats SHG in 2014 by 2 scores.

Cap preps is basing that solely on Naz-JCA result coupled with Montini beating JCA and SHG beating Montini. It's no secret formula. I'll take eyes ove computers anyways.

knowing the hf's new def coor-have to go with hf! zac wells is a phenomenal coach.

All.... I feel in the USA everyone gets to express an opinion. How's that? Ratsy

I would like to point out that Sam Brodner committed to Vanderbilt yesterday. I'm sure no SEC schools offer LB's under 6'0 as well.
I'd like to also point out they recruited him as a RB. So I will stand by my comment no SEC school will offer a LB under 6'0''

If there is one SEC program that would possibly offer ($, not PWO) a sub-6" LB, it would be Vandy. I doubt even they will tho.
Maybe a nickel or dime DB is where he ends up if RB doesn't pan out. I hope they keep him at RB. Great ball carrier.

I just finished a piece on B1G linebackers, or at least those of note . Michael Rose-Ivey of Nebraska is listed at 5-11 240. Only one of any consequence.

Two at 6-0, that could be generous

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT