ADVERTISEMENT

Simple question: So who should be preseason #1 team?

yep, it has to be MC. however, if HF will be so close at 2 that whichever team gets the first big win, gets the more lasting nod. schedules anyone?

also, does naz get the benefit of the doubt an receive a top 5?

HF #1

I say no to Naz in top 5.....top 15

You have to go with one of the teams in 7A or 8A that were in the championship games. If any of those team have 3/4 of the team returning, they have to be the preseason favorites. After those teams, It would be a toss up between the 6A championship teams and the 7A/8A semifinals teams.

That's my top 4...you could put any of those teams at 1, 2 or 3 and there would be no argument. Wellllll, maybe a little bit of an argument.

How do you guys over look, Cary Grove, Naz, Simeon, etc. What does MC have coming back that the other teams lost? Same question for LA and GBW?

How do you guys over look, Cary Grove, Naz, Simeon, etc. What does MC have coming back that the other teams lost? Same question for LA and GBW?

MC returns a ridiculous backfield and usual awesome OL. Plus a championship defense.

Naz has a top 5 defense and skills, but the OL needs to make strides to round out the team

MC returns a ridiculous backfield and usual awesome OL. Plus a championship defense.

Naz has a top 5 defense and skills, but the OL needs to make strides to round out the team

Did they add someone new to the backfield? Where they missing someone against Belleville West in the playoff? That is the only game that I saw MC last year.

MC had a down year and made it to the 7A semifinals. They return 14 starters I believe and if Griffith is added to the mix on defense the secondary is immediately better. Alek Thomas is a burner who will help spell the RB's on occasion. Entire backfield back and 3 OL guys. Return a TE and WR. They'll go into this season as a top 3 team without question. Now if they can live up to the billing is a story for another day.

MC had a down year and made it to the 7A semifinals. They return 14 starters I believe and if Griffith is added to the mix on defense the secondary is immediately better. Alek Thomas is a burner who will help spell the RB's on occasion. Entire backfield back and 3 OL guys. Return a TE and WR. They'll go into this season as a top 3 team without question. Now if they can live up to the billing is a story for another day.
After the Rice loss put them at 2-4 they went predominantly juniors. Inserting Cirame at LT, Reyes at LG and McKay at C. Then went strictly Lewis Ries in backfield. So many changes last year Ries was playing DB v Rita. Things started to gel. Great run beating LA, 8-1 Batavia, 10-1 LWE. Lost to PC no shame there arguably best team since mid 90s. So the offense is in place and D has some tweaking but they bring back key people in Greer, Guerra, Saffold and Williams and now have Griffith back there. Anytime they are really good they always seem to have an excellent soph back up ie Clifford and Cole 91, Bolden 96, Dorham 98, Owens 2000, Draco 2010

Did they add someone new to the backfield? Where they missing someone against Belleville West in the playoff? That is the only game that I saw MC last year.
Ries went 22 for 239 and Lewis 20 for 124 v BW. Both are back as well as an excellent soph this season

As for cary grove, they will be really good again, but they have lost a lot of guys on the both offensive and defensive lines. Also Gregiore is gone at QB. With the triple option, when you have the years together like they did last year it can be dominant, but at the same time with a new group of guys at the varsity level they may struggle a little up front. If they can get that figured out they have a great young running back, tyler pennington, coming back. Just I don't see them being number one.

That was probably Cary's best team ever. Awesome O line. Misfortune of playing Boykin and probably PC best team since 1996.

Ries went 22 for 239 and Lewis 20 for 124 v BW. Both are back as well as an excellent soph this season

Thanks for the update. I know the backs were very productive in terms of yardage however it didn't result in TD's, at least early on. I thought then and I think now that MC is and will always be a good team, even in the "down" years. The way people were automatically saying #1 or #2 I was just wondering if something has changed from last years team I saw. Nothing more, nothing less.

As for cary grove, they will be really good again, but they have lost a lot of guys on the both offensive and defensive lines. Also Gregiore is gone at QB. With the triple option, when you have the years together like they did last year it can be dominant, but at the same time with a new group of guys at the varsity level they may struggle a little up front. If they can get that figured out they have a great young running back, tyler pennington, coming back. Just I don't see them being number one.

Thanks for the update, I was wondering why people weren't mentioning them and you answered that question for me.

Reactions: lkhammer57
Ya Ruhland and Gomez were awesome on that line being the veteran leaders on that team since they knew what it took to get to state their sophomore year in 2012. And had Tople on that O line who is a preferred walk on with NIU. Great team and their head coach went to a great college ;)

Ya Ruhland and Gomez were awesome on that line being the veteran leaders on that team since they knew what it took to get to state their sophomore year in 2012. And had Tople on that O line who is a preferred walk on with NIU. Great team and their head coach went to a great college ;)

That line was awesome, sadly overshadowed by some other group of hogs...

I agree with the sentiments on Cary. That system is best with a veteran QB, and even with Pennington I'd expect some growing pains. That said, he's a great back.

Reactions: lkhammer57
Mc guys why isn't there any talk about last year's soph back micheal kennedy. Thought he looked real good just surprised to hear all the talk about the freshman back. Also think people are really underestimating PC and rice they are both returning a lot with good lower levels.

Mc guys why isn't there any talk about last year's soph back micheal kennedy. Thought he looked real good just surprised to hear all the talk about the freshman back. Also think people are really underestimating PC and rice they are both returning a lot with good lower levels.
I just think that he isn't as explosive running the ball as Thomas, but I very well may be wrong. This time of year is when we speculate about who will be an impact player and who will be a star. That can all change by the time Brown/White game happens in August.
I didn't think Rice had a ton back, I thought they were senior heavy last year but I could be wrong. PC is going to be good, just have to see how they recover on offense without QB, WR & TE. All 3 were top tier talent.

I just think that he isn't as explosive running the ball as Thomas, but I very well may be wrong. This time of year is when we speculate about who will be an impact player and who will be a star. That can all change by the time Brown/White game happens in August.
I didn't think Rice had a ton back, I thought they were senior heavy last year but I could be wrong. PC is going to be good, just have to see how they recover on offense without QB, WR & TE. All 3 were top tier talent.
CARAVAN8 Rice did play mostly seniors but don't sleep on the junior class that will be seniors this season they will be pretty good

Blue games are always tough and even if I sleep on the Junior class at BR, I am positive that the MC players and coaches will not. I just thought that they started a lot of seniors last year and was questioning the comment of them returning a lot this season. Every year each team returns a lot of players because of the junior class, when someone says a team returns a lot I usually think returning starters.

Reactions: biglatte
Blue games are always tough and even if I sleep on the Junior class at BR, I am positive that the MC players and coaches will not. I just thought that they started a lot of seniors last year and was questioning the comment of them returning a lot this season. Every year each team returns a lot of players because of the junior class, when someone says a team returns a lot I usually think returning starters.
Rice did start a lot of seniors but I believe the passing game will be a lot better the running game won't be as strong without Jones but Taylor played a lot last season I think if they can shore up the secondary I think that they will do well.

Rice did start a lot of seniors but I believe the passing game will be a lot better the running game won't be as strong without Jones but Taylor played a lot last season I think if they can shore up the secondary I think that they will do well.
from seeing the Rice scrimmage last year I thought the qb this year will fit their system better.

Still dont understand what happened in Naperville last season... Rice had the game in control in the 1st half. Anyone?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT