ADVERTISEMENT

Naz lights or no lights?

WestSuburbanCatholicConference

Jun 17, 2015
I thought this was set in stone that Naz was getting lights?

I live not too far away from the school. There have been some angry letters to the editor and sound offs in the Suburban Life recently. I have friends who send their children to naz so thats how I get most of my info and the games. But one of my friends just forwarded an email from Dennis Moran, asking to show support at the village meeting. I know there has always been bad blood between naz and the neighbors, but apparently the push back has been so great that they might not get lights anymore? Can a naz poster inform me more on this, and also why is is there such bad blood between the neighbors? I hear rumors from jealous LT families to just grumpy old people.

What you need to do is to a sell-leaseback of the stadium grounds to the school district, with the caveat that you get exclusive use for the duration. Once it's part of the school district, there are NO zoning rules. You are then free to construct any stadium, of any size, lights, massive sound system, etc. with no regards for the neighbors.

Crystal Lake South 'em.

NAZ PLEASE FOR ALL THAT IS GOOD!!!! Please Please Please keep the Saturday games.

Please!

Saturday day games, at Naz, are as good as there is in Illinois. The fans are right on top of the field; the field itself looks very nice; there is a true feeling of youth football there.

Night games there turn it into a normal, ho hum place.

I thought this was set in stone that Naz was getting lights?

I live not too far away from the school. There have been some angry letters to the editor and sound offs in the Suburban Life recently. I have friends who send their children to naz so thats how I get most of my info and the games. But one of my friends just forwarded an email from Dennis Moran, asking to show support at the village meeting. I know there has always been bad blood between naz and the neighbors, but apparently the push back has been so great that they might not get lights anymore? Can a naz poster inform me more on this, and also why is is there such bad blood between the neighbors? I hear rumors from jealous LT families to just grumpy old people.

From everything I know from both living in area and being friends with Naz people is that the neighbors are a mix of old people and LT families. Those two parties have been opposing any project Nazareth has tried to start so it comes as no surprise to me that they'd fight this to the bitter end. All of my "sources" tell me this is all but a done deal. Official word comes in the next few days but it's a formality. Shame on those neighbors, regardless of their agenda, for trying to prevent Nazareth from bettering itself. They moved or built behind a high school and yet they don't want that high school to operate like any other? Embarrassing. Nazareth athletics have been held back long enough due to facilities (bball), lights etc. Money seems to be rolling in now and the fine families and student athletes there deserve it.

NAZ PLEASE FOR ALL THAT IS GOOD!!!! Please Please Please keep the Saturday games.

Please!

Saturday day games, at Naz, are as good as there is in Illinois. The fans are right on top of the field; the field itself looks very nice; there is a true feeling of youth football there.

Night games there turn it into a normal, ho hum place.
It may be better for YOU and I but what student would rather watch on a sat afternoon then Fri night? What player would rather play on Sat afternoon then Fri night? Your points are absolutely valid but it doesn't matter what is best for you and I. The kids are very excited and frankly deserve it.

It may be better for YOU and I but what student would rather watch on a sat afternoon then Fri night? What player would rather play on Sat afternoon then Fri night? Your points are absolutely valid but it doesn't matter what is best for you and I. The kids are very excited and frankly deserve it.

maybe...or maybe that ESCC saturday afternoon game gives a nice home field advantage. So frankly, i don't think it matters at all to the students who are watching, either. Sure, maybe the players themselves want Friday night games...but if we are really going to get into the nitty gritty here...

Regarding the Nazareth Lights. As a parent of two current students I can honestly say I have not seen a letter from Dennis Moran asking for support outside of the norm. Everything I'm hearing indicates that the final official approval is on the table in the next few weeks and expected to be passed. The feedback that I've heard was that the test run last fall for the 1st playoff game was a success and the neighbors we ok with it. Personally I'd prefer not to speculate that there are problems with the project being approved, and even more so with assigning blame to neighbors that may in fact be embracing the schools upgrades.

JC,

I understand that Saturday games were a unique attribute to Naz, and you will even have a chance to still catch one last game week two of the season; so come on out. I would like you to explain what you meant though by "youth sports feel". I'm guessing it was just innocent based on your norm but sounded a bit Cheeky.

I love the Saturday games as well and feel that it gave Naz an advantage

Regarding the Nazareth Lights. As a parent of two current students I can honestly say I have not seen a letter from Dennis Moran asking for support outside of the norm. Everything I'm hearing indicates that the final official approval is on the table in the next few weeks and expected to be passed. The feedback that I've heard was that the test run last fall for the 1st playoff game was a success and the neighbors we ok with it. Personally I'd prefer not to speculate that there are problems with the project being approved, and even more so with assigning blame to neighbors that may in fact be embracing the schools upgrades.

JC,

I understand that Saturday games were a unique attribute to Naz, and you will even have a chance to still catch one last game week two of the season; so come on out. I would like you to explain what you meant though by "youth sports feel". I'm guessing it was just innocent based on your norm but sounded a bit Cheeky.

Cheeky? Really? I just consider high school football youth sports. Ever been to a Libertyville or Stevenson game? It feels more like a rock production...ever been to a Morgan Park game, it feels like a ... well, i could read a book there.

Naz gave you the authentic feeling of being at a high school football game - in a very unique setting.

Really sorry to see it go. No way you duplicate that feeling at night. I am on record saying Naz Saturday day games provided my favorite IL game day experience. GBW is good, but Naz is way more cozy and less pretentious.

Aye. IMO, from a fan's perspective, a loss.

maybe...or maybe that ESCC saturday afternoon game gives a nice home field advantage. So frankly, i don't think it matters at all to the students who are watching, either. Sure, maybe the players themselves want Friday night games...but if we are really going to get into the nitty gritty here...
Seriously though you base decisions on the growth of your school and what the paying customers want. It's better for student body AND of course players to play on Friday nights. Also it will help with perspective student athletes im sure. The Naz games had a family feel, they were great games to attend there is little doubt about that. Maybe Naz had some sort of advantage playing on Saturdays but they'll probably play better in front of a crazier crowd with more young people there so that advantage might be moot. This is a negative for this board but a positive for Nazareth football.

Seriously though you base decisions on the growth of your school and what the paying customers want. It's better for student body AND of course players to play on Friday nights. Also it will help with perspective student athletes im sure. The Naz games had a family feel, they were great games to attend there is little doubt about that. Maybe Naz had some sort of advantage playing on Saturdays but they'll probably play better in front of a crazier crowd with more young people there so that advantage might be moot. This is a negative for this board but a positive for Nazareth football.

My very original point remains: High school football is losing a great venue. For whatever reason, for whatever need. Right call, wrong call no matter. What is a positive for Naz is debatable (see Godfather above), but still irrelevant. My plea was to save a venue and an experience - many of which are long gone in IL.

JC,

I suspected I was reading more into it than you meant, but had to ask. Being a PA football guy I've been to the Hollywood productions and the hometown games, I don't think Friday night or Saturday determine that feel but rather the community does, just my opinion. The Saturday games also make the college recruiting visits tough on the players and with the recent influx of talent that's gotta be a consideration. Not to mention when you think High School football everyone now thinks of Friday Night Lights!

JC,

I suspected I was reading more into it than you meant, but had to ask. Being a PA football guy I've been to the Hollywood productions and the hometown games, I don't think Friday night or Saturday determine that feel but rather the community does, just my opinion. The Saturday games also make the college recruiting visits tough on the players and with the recent influx of talent that's gotta be a consideration. Not to mention when you think High School football everyone now thinks of Friday Night Lights!

I hear you on all of those, but still...mark me down as one to see them go.

On the other hand, I am moving to philly for work, but won't be there until after the season. Can't wait to see how PA does football on the regular...not jsut the bigger games i have been too.

They moved or built behind a high school and yet they don't want that high school to operate like any other? Embarrassing.
Pretty much all of those houses were built long before that building became Nazareth

What I liked best about the Naz Saturday games was that I was guaranteed to see two great games during the weekend, one on Friday night and one on Saturday afternoon at Naz. With Naz moving to night games, Friday nights are the only time to see games in the western burbs.

With all the night games I wish teams would all schedule one Saturday night game during the regular season so us fans get to see more games in person instead of watching them on the internet.

I think teams should schedule their biggest game of the season on Saturday nights like....

JCA/Naz

Montini/St Francis

Mt Carmel/Loyola

Bolingbrook/LWE

GW/OPRF

How about a SHG/Cary Grove Sat night game??

Wassup

Pretty much all of those houses were built long before that building became Nazareth
And before that building was Nazareth it was St Joseph's Military Academy. There may be a few home owners that predate Nazareth but I would bet a large sum of money it isn't more than 10%. Large majority bought or built their homes knowing Nazareth was in their backyard.

I see both points, the day games are so unique especially in the Norman Rockwell town of Lagrange Park, brings a Wrigley atmosphere to the games. But let be real every high school kids wants to play under the lights and with the forest and community so close is would be pretty cool at night. What I don't understand is such the harsh push back by the neighbors?

Dennis from my experience is a very classy man and has done all he can to accommodate the neighbors, its not like naz has been arrogant or rude in the negotiations. These same neighbors I heard tried to get Relay for life cancelled years ago and even the theater!

Subject: A note from D Moran

Hello Neighbors and Friends of Nazareth Academy,

As you know we have submitted an application with the Village of LaGrange Park to have lights installed on our athletic field. We are scheduled for the variation request to be considered by the Village Board on July 14th and to be honest with you there has been some opposition from people on Edgewood and from both of our LaGrange and LaGrange Park neighbors.

My request on behalf of all the student athletes, coaches and all Nazareth supporters that you would be able to send an email of your support of the installation of lights on our athletic field to Emily Rodman, Assistant Village Manager at erodman@lagrangepark.org<mailto:erodman@lagrangepark.org> . We just want what every other high school has in our conference. In most, if not all the schools in the state of Illinois, they already have night games played on their campus.

My experience with the Village is that we are much stronger and can
attain more when we show our combined support of each other as a united front. I thank you in advance for your understanding and support of how important this is to the Nazareth Academy community.

Sincerely,
Dennis P. Moran
President

below are 2 links that show the attitude the neighbors have for naz

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/2015/06/08/suburban-life-sound-off-june-1-7-2015/a2qno9j/?page=2

click to page 2 for this Beauty
"No lights for Nazareth
So I hear Nazareth Academy wants to install lights for their football field so they can have night games so they can attract the people from the city of Chicago to their nice neighborhood. It's ridiculous. They're the only game in town on Sunday, they need to market it better and they'll get their bigger crowds. I hope the La Grange Park Village Board rejects their request for putting in lights and destroying the character of that neighborhood, even if it is only for a few nights a year."

here is another

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/2015/...y-for-football-benefit-the-community/autswz1/

click to page 2 for this Beauty [B said:
"No lights for Nazareth[/B]
So I hear Nazareth Academy wants to install lights for their football field so they can have night games so they can attract the people from the city of Chicago to their nice neighborhood. It's ridiculous. They're the only game in town on Sunday, they need to market it better and they'll get their bigger crowds. I hope the La Grange Park Village Board rejects their request for putting in lights and destroying the character of that neighborhood, even if it is only for a few nights a year."

I didn't know the people of the City of Chicago were not up to the LaGrange Park standards. Your're right this is a beauty. Between the lines, it seems to say we don't want "them" in our town. Disgusting is one of the words that come to mind

Westsub,
Thanks for the post and clarification about what was written. Looks like an open letter to the community but since I don't live in LPG I missed it. It's truly a shame some people albeit probably a single of few households act this way. What I find most interesting is that the second writer who actually signed his name purchase his home in 1994, so he knew what and where he was buying. Time perhaps to not be so nice.

i011763,
I agree with you that the attitude of the other writer is unacceptable and disgusting.

My grandparents lived right across the street from Nazareth on Edgewood and lived their for 20 years. All I can remember at that time is my grandparents and all the neighbors supported Nazareth Academy. I would think that support is still there.

My grandparents lived right across the street from Nazareth on Edgewood and lived their for 20 years. All I can remember at that time is my grandparents and all the neighbors supported Nazareth Academy. I would think that support is still there.

From living close by and knowing many LT,Naz, & St. Francis,Park families. Its not just bickering, its a feud. I find it odd the residents would have that much dismay for a Private School that is in the middle of their own community. I thought if anything it would be the opposite. My question is why? Its more than just a few people complaining too

Wassup I agree I will miss the Saturday games, I watch the Blue game of the week on Friday then on Saturday enjoy a nice Saturday afternoon game

The support is generally there, but there are some empty-nester geriatrics that still have their panties in a bunch regarding students parking on their streets 10 years ago. Naz solved that problem by adding more parking.

There is also a prominent Fenwick alum that lives on Edgewood that was a thorn in the side when Naz was building their baseball field. Naz solved that problem by adding trees and bushes along the right field line.

The Naz administration has bent over backwards to accommodate the neighbors and other than a few vocal protests, I think Naz will get the support they need from the neighbors. Its only four games a year.

From living close by and knowing many LT,Naz, & St. Francis,Park families. Its not just bickering, its a feud. I find it odd the residents would have that much dismay for a Private School that is in the middle of their own community. I thought if anything it would be the opposite. My question is why? Its more than just a few people complaining too

Wassup I agree I will miss the Saturday games, I watch the Blue game of the week on Friday then on Saturday enjoy a nice Saturday afternoon game

I would like to see Montini play the games that are later in the season played on Saturday Afternoon.

The support is generally there, but there are some empty-nester geriatrics that still have their panties in a bunch regarding students parking on their streets 10 years ago. Naz solved that problem by adding more parking.

There is also a prominent Fenwick alum that lives on Edgewood that was a thorn in the side when Naz was building their baseball field. Naz solved that problem by adding trees and bushes along the right field line.

The Naz administration has bent over backwards to accommodate the neighbors and other than a few vocal protests, I think Naz will get the support they need from the neighbors. Its only four games a year.
Is part of the proposal that the lights would only be used for football?

I have a hard time believing that they won't use the lights for boys soccer in the fall, girls soccer in the spring, lacrosse in the spring, track meets in the spring, etc....

I have a hard time believing that they won't use the lights for boys soccer in the fall, girls soccer in the spring, lacrosse in the spring, track meets in the spring, etc....
I agree except no track at Nazareth. That's part of the reason it's such a good venue for football, you're literally right on top of the action.

I'm only aware of 4 football games in the fall and for football practices after daylight savings time ends.

That's a shame, I guess every school has the outliers but as a Fenwick parent I can say the the vast majority of Fenwick families want Nazareth to succeed. It's not like the two schools compete much in athletics (especially with Fenwick's girls leaving ESCC) and there isn't much of a rivalry to speak of. What there is are lots of overlap in the area, lots of families grow up together and split off at the two schools. Lots of the private schools in the are have kids go to both schools. The parents and kids are all friends and while everyone wants bragging rights you want kids that you watched grow up to be successful in life, school and athletics. It isn't like Naz-Benet lol.

I'm only aware of 4 football games in the fall and for football practices after daylight savings time ends.
I thought it was like 8 events a year or something like that. I know Naz's schedule has changed to reflect 4 home night games tho so I imagine the other sports split the other 4 (or whatever the number is).

That's a shame, I guess every school has the outliers but as a Fenwick parent I can say the the vast majority of Fenwick families want Nazareth to succeed. It's not like the two schools compete much in athletics (especially with Fenwick's girls leaving ESCC) and there isn't much of a rivalry to speak of. What there is are lots of overlap in the area, lots of families grow up together and split off at the two schools. Lots of the private schools in the are have kids go to both schools. The parents and kids are all friends and while everyone wants bragging rights you want kids that you watched grow up to be successful in life, school and athletics. It isn't like Naz-Benet lol.

I hear you, this is one particular guy, he used to be on the LGP board of trustees.

This is about Nazareth getting lights which I support.But speaking of lights I heard some good news.Rich South,Joliet West,& Bloom Township are giving night football a try again at least once this season.I hope & pray things will go well & people behave & they can go back to night football again

...and on the 8th day God said, "let there be light at the Naz football games"..LGP board passes lights @ Naz.

Reactions: NazDad
I miss the old Saturday games at Ron Wrather TBH

mjcry1.png

I might have to if getting from the North burbs on a Friday night proves to be too much.

ADVERTISEMENT