ADVERTISEMENT

Lester Drinking the Kool-Aid

Dr. Mirakle

Aug 21, 2013
I see that Jon Lester is now the latest person drinking the Cubs Kool-Aid. Yeah right Jon...the Cubs are going to win the World Series...this year. I have been hearing that nonsense most years since 1969. I wonder how many tickets to numbskulls he sold with that idiotic statement.

Will the Cubs be better this year? Yes I think so and so will the Sox. But let's face it. Both organizations have nowhere else to go but up. I don't have a problem with lofty goals, but let's be realistic here Jon. I suppose when you pay some guys $155M they will say anything.

SIU:

It is like I said. I don't have a problem with lofty goals and certainly he has to believe the team "can" get there. But that's not what he said. He said they "will" win the World Series this year and it won't happen. They don't have enough and I seriously doubt teams like the Nats, Giants and Cardinals are just going to stand still and let them have it just because Lester said it. The Cubs are not the Red Sox of 2007 that won 96 games and a WS. Nor are they the Red Sox of 2013 that won 97 and won a WS as well. Two teams he was on.

This is the quote I've seen. Seems very reasonable and logical to me.

"You got to come in with the mindset of: 'We're going to the World Series.'"

Dr. I am a Cub fan. Will they win the WS? Who
knows. New player says they will this year? What's
he suppose to say? I see nothing wrong with his statement.
What's he got to lose? I hope they do but I wouldn't
put money on it. Take it for what it is. His opinion. I hope
he is right.

Go Cubs! Lol

Originally posted by SiuCubFan8:

Siu:

Again, I don't have a problem with a guy who has a positive attitude. But he said "this year" and it's just not going to happen.

I don't hate the Cubs as a team. But I have to say most of their fans are not playing with a full deck to start with anyway. You can choose which ones I mean. A statement like this starts the "in-your-face" crap by them again. I heard it in 1969. I heard it again in 1984, then 1989 too. 2003 comes along and they go nuts when the organization hires Dusty Baker, fresh off a World Series appearance with S.F. Then again in 2007 when they hired Lou Piniella. All I heard from those morons was "we are gonna win it, we are gonna win it, we are gonna win it and it has NEVER happened.

Now, fast-forward to 2015 and they hire Joe Maddon and pick up Jon Lester. Same sh*t different manager. Sure, the ownership has changed and so has the GM. But a lot of good GMs have gone through there with nothing to show. I am hearing it again from these obsessed fools. I have never seen more fans who are in-your-face about winning a championship when none has ever been seen by anyone on the planet. Jesus Lord! Settle down until it happens, then talk about it.

This is the main reason I hope the Cubs never win a championship...because these people will be impossible to handle.

Originally posted by corey90:
he is right.

Go Cubs! Lol
Corey:

Maybe the Cubs will win a World Series when the Bears win a Super Bowl with Cutler.

Originally posted by Dr. Mirakle:

Siu:

Again, I don't have a problem with a guy who has a positive attitude. But he said "this year" and it's just not going to happen.

I don't hate the Cubs as a team. But I have to say most of their fans are not playing with a full deck to start with anyway. You can choose which ones I mean. A statement like this starts the "in-your-face" crap by them again. I heard it in 1969. I heard it again in 1984, then 1989 too. 2003 comes along and they go nuts when the organization hires Dusty Baker, fresh off a World Series appearance with S.F. Then again in 2007 when they hired Lou Piniella. All I heard from those morons was "we are gonna win it, we are gonna win it, we are gonna win it and it has NEVER happened.

Now, fast-forward to 2015 and they hire Joe Maddon and pick up Jon Lester. Same sh*t different manager. Sure, the ownership has changed and so has the GM. But a lot of good GMs have gone through there with nothing to show. I am hearing it again from these obsessed fools. I have never seen more fans who are in-your-face about winning a championship when none has ever been seen by anyone on the planet. Jesus Lord! Settle down until it happens, then talk about it.

This is the main reason I hope the Cubs never win a championship...because these people will be impossible to handle.
His comment in context is harmless and said in almost every camp, especially teams that had very nice offseasons. I am still not sure why you have issue with it.
What is the world is he suppose to say?

Cub fans should be excited about this year and upcoming years. My expectations sit at being in contention for the 2nd WC well into the summer. But I am a fan, the players should always have the mindset of WS going into the season especially when it's a team looking to win and not rebuild (Cubs/Sox in previous years).

His comment in context is harmless and said in almost every camp, especially teams that had very nice offseasons. I am still not sure why you have issue with it.
What is the world is he suppose to say?

Cub fans should be excited about this year and upcoming years. My expectations sit at being in contention for the 2nd WC well into the summer. But I am a fan, the players should always have the mindset of WS going into the season especially when it's a team looking to win and not rebuild (Cubs/Sox in previous years).
The fact is, it isn't said the way he said it in almost every camp. If it was, it wouldn't be news. You keep avoiding the fact he said "this year." Why are you doing that?

Now, you are saying "in contention." If he had said that, then fine with me. He predicted a championship this year. No matter how much you continue to avoid that part of the statement...he said it. Find me another player from a team that won 73 games last year who is saying this. I haven't even heard about anyone from the Royals saying it. I am sure they are saying things like "we want to get back there," etc. They aren't coming out and saying we are going to win it this year.

You are confusing goals to statements made by players. And for the record, Lester probably would have been better off saying something like, "we expect to contend for a WS now and win one very soon." That is a good statement which shows confidence.

I said before they will certainly win more games this year than last. But once again they have nowhere else to go but up.

He said you have to have the mindset you are going to win the WS. You keep avoiding that.
IMO you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Why do you even care, honestly?

SIU:

I understand the mindset. I said that countless times. I only care because of what I said about the majority of Cub fans. They will be impossible to handle if that team ever achieves success. I said before, I don't hate the team, but the majority of the fans know nothing about baseball outside their team and are in-your-face about it. To me, this is "here we go again" until they actually win something. The fans have started their crap again already and I have to deal with it from some of them. Just STFU until you win something, please.

SIU:

I understand the mindset. I said that countless times. I only care because of what I said about the majority of Cub fans. They will be impossible to handle if that team ever achieves success. I said before, I don't hate the team, but the majority of the fans know nothing about baseball outside their team and are in-your-face about it. To me, this is "here we go again" until they actually win something. The fans have started their crap again already and I have to deal with it from some of them. Just STFU until you win something, please.
I converse with tons of Cub fans both in person on on message boards ect. I have yet to read or hear 1 single person say they think the Cubs will win the WS this year...not one. Most think a .500 team with a chance, if things break right, to sneak into WC contention. And I believe those are reasonable expectations. I believe the the only place I have read predicting a WS was The Sporting News. You should direct some angst at them for riling up the fanbase that knows nothing about baseball outside of the Cubs. It's such a tired old false narrative.

Why should I STFU about the team I root for which seems to be entering into an exciting window until they "win something"? That's ridiculous. So the Sox fans had a muzzle on until 2005? The Red Sox? Cleveland fans certainly cannot be vocal about a team that has a shot in the ALC this year since they haven't won anything recently.

Congrats, you won. You got me involved in an argument I hate participating in......

Congrats, you won. You got me involved in an argument I hate participating in......
Hahaha. I genuinely laughed my ass off at this. Would have been funnier if you had called me a name though.

I converse with tons of Cub fans both in person on on message boards ect. I have yet to read or hear 1 single person say they think the Cubs will win the WS this year...not one. Most think a .500 team with a chance, if things break right, to sneak into WC contention. And I believe those are reasonable expectations. I believe the the only place I have read predicting a WS was The Sporting News. You should direct some angst at them for riling up the fanbase that knows nothing about baseball outside of the Cubs. It's such a tired old false narrative.
Congratulations. But wait, it will happen. I have seen it more than once already. However, in fairness, I have three close friends who are Cub fans I haven't talked to recently. I am sure none of them will act the way I described and will most likely be like the ones you have experienced so far. This is why I didn't say 100% of Cub fans act this way. Just most of them.

Why should I STFU about the team I root for which seems to be entering into an exciting window until they "win something"? That's ridiculous. So the Sox fans had a muzzle on until 2005? The Red Sox? Cleveland fans certainly cannot be vocal about a team that has a shot in the ALC this year since they haven't won anything recently.
I am not saying you shouldn't root for the team you like. I am saying some Cub fans should STFU about predicting a championship as if it's a foregone conclusion until it actually happens. But look at what you wrote here. We are NOT talking about ALCS, wild card playoffs or anything like that. We are talking a WS championship. You wrote this:

"Cleveland fans certainly cannot be vocal about a team that has a shot in the ALC this year since they haven't won anything recently."

This is NOT the argument. Sure they can be vocal about getting into post season. But getting into post season is a hell of a lot different than predicting a championship.

What did you think "wait till next year" means? What do you think "it will happen" meant? It sure as hell doesn't mean thinking the team will be .500 and perhaps sneak into the WS. I am sure another slogan is coming down the pike too. Again, and for the umteenth time, there is nothing wrong with rooting for your team to win. We all do that. When you find any fans other than Yankee fans predicting WS championships ( and actually making it happen sometimes) and some Cub fans doing the same with nothing to show let me know.

Originally posted by corey90:
he is right.

Go Cubs! Lol
Pretty sure this is Corey Patterson on the edgytim message board............................

Hahaha. I genuinely laughed my ass off at this. Would have been funnier if you had called me a name though.

Congratulations. But wait, it will happen. I have seen it more than once already. However, in fairness, I have three close friends who are Cub fans I haven't talked to recently. I am sure none of them will act the way I described and will most likely be like the ones you have experienced so far. This is why I didn't say 100% of Cub fans act this way. Just most of them.

I am not saying you shouldn't root for the team you like. I am saying some Cub fans should STFU about predicting a championship as if it's a foregone conclusion until it actually happens. But look at what you wrote here. We are NOT talking about ALCS, wild card playoffs or anything like that. We are talking a WS championship. You wrote this:

"Cleveland fans certainly cannot be vocal about a team that has a shot in the ALC this year since they haven't won anything recently."

This is NOT the argument. Sure they can be vocal about getting into post season. But getting into post season is a hell of a lot different than predicting a championship.

What did you think "wait till next year" means? What do you think "it will happen" meant? It sure as hell doesn't mean thinking the team will be .500 and perhaps sneak into the WS. I am sure another slogan is coming down the pike too. Again, and for the umteenth time, there is nothing wrong with rooting for your team to win. We all do that. When you find any fans other than Yankee fans predicting WS championships ( and actually making it happen sometimes) and some Cub fans doing the same with nothing to show let me know.
This has spun way off the origional point. We can agree to disagree on Lester's comment. I've been on here enough to know I am not changing your mind.

SIU:

The main point I was trying to make, although I took a real long route was, I have heard this song and dance before with no results...and so have you.

The other point I want to make is this: I have never, NEVER seen a team that receives more hype by their fans and the media that delivers nothing. They continue to receive hype year after year and they win nothing. That doesn't happen anywhere else in any other sport. At least the Super Bowl has actually lived up to the hype once in a while. This team never does.

This constant hype is the one thing I don't get and will never get.
This post was edited on 2/24 11:46 AM by Dr. Mirakle

ADVERTISEMENT