ADVERTISEMENT

It's been a while, but I think IL has two elite teams in 2015

JCHILLTOPPERS

May 29, 2001
I consider elite teams to be those who can compete with top teams from top states.

For a good stretch of time, we typically had around 2...in fact, really from around 98 till around 07 that was the normal. Often, we have 1...the last 2 years we've had zero.

This season, I think MC and HF have a chance to be elite. I hop I am right, because over all, I think we are still down compared to years past....better this season as a state than last year, but still not back to where we should be.

MC is going to be ridiculous this season. The QB is going to make himself a name, and the rest of the backfield is uber talented. The defense will be salty as ever.

When MC has a senior QB starter, that is always a harbinger of good things to come. Last few, Boricich '13-7A champs, Butkus-'12 8A champs, Sujka '10-8A runner u-, Lynch '08 8A semi, Kopach '06, 8A runner up, O'Brien '02 6A champ.

Not only is Thompson back, but both backs in Lewis and Ries as well as 3 O lineman, Lewis/Wirtel and Saffold who plays both ways. Set at 9 spots on offense.

This will also be Thompson's 3rd year on Varsity. The offense could be best since '02. #AirLenti

The offense has a lot back and can be special this season. In order to be elite they have to do it on both sides of the ball. The truly great MC teams all had top tier defenses. Lots of talk about Griffith being a great DB and I can't see coach Frank playing him at DB/QB when he's a JR. & SR, so do they bring him up now as a DB/WR and start training another QB on Soph team? What else is back on this D from last season?

Well I was able to see one frosh game last year-at Rice a 51-6 win-and he was just an awesome QB. Looked like McNabb out there. I would think he is the back up Qb this year and then the starter the next 2 seasons. MC at the frosh level looked loaded offensively but had some holes on D.

Back on D from last year are D line: LaVelle Houston and Terrell Greer, LB's-O'Shea, Guerra, Mudd, secondary: Saffold, Morrison was on field a lot, Williams. It wont be at '12-13 level but they figured some things out last year after moving guys around half the season. Can hit ground running this season.

Originally posted by epicbret:
Originally posted by DeanOfSelection:

MC is 9A this year with the success factor
Incorrect. They are being sent to Texas.
I heard they will be switching places with the university of illinois. UofI will go to the CCL Red.

Originally posted by Cross Bones:

I heard they will be switching places with the university of illinois. UofI will go to the CCL Red.
incorrect.

Since Brook will be preseason 1, MC will join the sica, while brook will switch with U of I, and U of I to fill a different color CCL league with what ... hmmm.... will need to replace one...

Dean - Could Griffith be the backup QB and possibly start at DB this season? He would instantly make the secondary better and MC struggled against the pass last season. I've only seen him play a couple times but he is an exceptional athlete and it looks like Edgy thinks pretty highly of him based on his evaluation from the 7 vs 7 tournament last week.

Originally posted by JCHILLTOPPERS:

Originally posted by Cross Bones:

incorrect.

Since Brook will be preseason 1, MC will join the sica, while brook will switch with U of I, and U of I to fill a different color CCL league with what ... hmmm.... will need to replace one...
its too early for this lunacy

And LWE will beat both H- F and the Brook in the regular season after being ranked 24 th preseason.....and then.you guessed it..lose to Mount Carmel in the 9 A quarters.

cravan8:

I'll see what I can found out at alumni banquet. I am gonna guess they convert one of the soph backs from last year to DB.

I don't know if they were elite or not, but PC and CG were two darn good teams last year.

I heard MC was opening up with Indianapolis Cathedral at Soldier Field. Was this just a rumor or never finalized? I don't see MC on Cathedral's schedule...

CLASS SECTIONAL JOHN HARRELL'S INDIANA HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RECENT SEASONS
5A 13 E-MAIL CORRECTIONS MAP TO SCHOOL 0-0
TOURNAMENT HISTORY
INDIANAPOLIS CATHEDRAL
FIGHTING IRISH
Coach: Rick Streiff, 201-62 in 21st year at school, 222-94 in 26th year overall
DATE OPPONENT EASTERN TIME OA 0.0, DA 0.0
Aug. 21 at Lawrence Central {6A} 7:00 pm
Aug. 28 (n)Cincinnati Moeller (Ohio) 8:00 pm Nippert Stadium
Sep. 4 Mishawaka {5A} 7:00 pm
Sep. 11 Indianapolis Chatard {4A} 7:00 pm Lawrence North
Sep. 18 at Cincinnati St. Xavier (Ohio) 7:30 pm
Sep. 25 Rhea County (Tenn.) 7:00 pm
Oct. 2 at Fishers {6A} 7:00 pm
Oct. 9 Brebeuf Jesuit {3A} 7:00 pm
Oct. 16 at Center Grove {6A} 7:00 pm

Forgot to add Buzea is an outstanding coach who never had the talent in Northwest Indiana that's he's getting at H-F. He added a solid defensive minded coach to the staff as Zac Wells decided to give up a HC position in Northwest Indiana (Merrillville) to join H-F. I think he'll be the DC but I may be wrong about that.

Originally posted by Boiler79:
Forgot to add Buzea is an outstanding coach who never had the talent in Northwest Indiana that's he's getting at H-F. He added a solid defensive minded coach to the staff as Zac Wells decided to give up a HC position in Northwest Indiana (Merrillville) to join H-F. I think he'll be the DC but I may be wrong about that.
He is going to get every decent player in the south suburbs especially now that they have the indoor facility. I'm not even talking about recruiting, they will just show up.

This post was edited on 4/16 10:36 AM by mc140

I consider elite teams to be those who can compete with top teams from top states.

For a good stretch of time, we typically had around 2...in fact, really from around 98 till around 07 that was the normal. Often, we have 1...the last 2 years we've had zero.

This season, I think MC and HF have a chance to be elite. I hop I am right, because over all, I think we are still down compared to years past....better this season as a state than last year, but still not back to where we should be.
Providence should be up there too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT