ADVERTISEMENT

If invited..would you

JCHILLTOPPERS

May 29, 2001
assume you are the Coach/AD of a top contending team from IL.

If you were invited to play in a national champion tournament, which began week 10, and consisted of a 1-32 bracket (national champion would play a total of 14 games), would you choose to participate in lieu of the state tournament.

have to commit at week 8.

I'm really not sure what i would do.

I guess it would depend if the team was ranked top 10 nationally and still the coaches, players, administration, parents and school would have to vote in for it.

If you were invited to play in a national champion tournament, which began week 10, and consisted of a 1-32 bracket (national champion would play a total of 14 games), would you choose to participate in lieu of the state tournament.

suppose it was bronco's best team.

The best Bronco's team was never ranked top 10 nationally, so I don't see the Bronco's going. I don't think a 5A school would ever get enough publicity nationally to be ranked top 10 in the nation.

The closest the Bronco's would get was sending a team to Alabama two years ago in national tournament for winning the Red Grange 7 on 7 tournament.

Would you have any of the JCA teams go? If so, what years??

Last edited:
If I won powerball, I would fly MC to open with Concord DLS and Thomas Aquinas alternating years.

There are a lot of logistical details that would need to be known. A couple would be:
  • Cost (borne by school, tournament, ESPN?)
  • Class time missed
  • Ability of the families to travel and see their son's play

How about a Big 10 territory (Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio) tourney instead of a National tourney? This at least cuts down the cost aspect a bit.

Games on Saturday day & night, cut down on missed class time.

Games shown on internet or on big screens at the high school (family's don't miss out on action)

Wassup

There are a lot of logistical details that would need to be known. A couple would be:
  • Cost (borne by school, tournament, ESPN?)
  • Class time missed
  • Ability of the families to travel and see their son's play

um, it is a hypothetical. make your own answers up.

Would have to say no. Imagine going and playing in a tournament like that and getting killed in round 1 or 2, and then not having a chance to win the IHSA title. Most of the top IL schools on any given year are not a top team nationally (always exceptions).

There is NOTHING like a state championship. The playoff atmosphere is amazing during a state title run. It is absolutely no way you can get that feel traveling to play or playing at a neutral site. As a team that play out of state games, there is no comparison. I would play any team on any week during the season but State Championship is the only way to go.

There is NOTHING like a state championship. The playoff atmosphere is amazing during a state title run. It is absolutely no way you can get that feel traveling to play or playing at a neutral site. As a team that play out of state games, there is no comparison. I would play any team on any week during the season but State Championship is the only way to go.

LHS - that is kind of where I am. A title run, especially come semi-finals is really outstanding. On the other hand, I was on a JCA baseball team that reached #2 in all the national baseball polls. I can tell you my entire team was far more interested in that ranking, than the state's.

I also know that when JCA hosted Rockhurst, or when MC was in Ohio back in the day, the crowds were very big, and very electric. I think of the possibility of playing in a national championship game...that would be pretty awesome too. I know JCA - and many of the other top programs here would travel well for these games.

LHS - that is kind of where I am. A title run, especially come semi-finals is really outstanding. On the other hand, I was on a JCA baseball team that reached #2 in all the national baseball polls. I can tell you my entire team was far more interested in that ranking, than the state's.

I also know that when JCA hosted Rockhurst, or when MC was in Ohio back in the day, the crowds were very big, and very electric. I think of the possibility of playing in a national championship game...that would be pretty awesome too. I know JCA - and many of the other top programs here would travel well for these games.

JC I hear you. Baseball is a lot different. I would have a different opinion for Baseball as well as Basketball. Football to me is a totally different situation. I also agree that most teams will travel well within the "Midwest" but what happens when your game is in Florida, Texas, California, Nevada, Georgia, etc. Keep in mind, this is spare of the moment meaning you wont know week to week. During the season the game is set six months to over a year in advance which allow fans to plan. Setup vacations and get time off. On Sunday you find out you are going to Nevada on Saturday. There aren't a lot of High School football fans that have deep pockets.

I have tried to think of a scenario where this would work well for an Illinois team - not one I can think of. Can you imagine Bishop Gorman from last season playing Stevenson, or Providence? There is not a scenario I can draw up that would make that game even reasonably close.

The same situation would take place with any number of the top teams in the country. Illinois produces a number of very good football players, but the state does not produce a team that can compete at that elite level. There is simply nothing to gain at all from this.

If I was a head coach of a state champion - just using last year as an example, no way I would subject my boys to a beating of epic proportions. So no thanks,

I don't really have any interest in HS football outside IL, so no. The kids can play all the out of state games they want at the next level.

This would be akin to the national 7 on 7 tournaments and AAU basketball both of which have been decried on this site.

But wait, this may be one way for rambling man to get out of the IHSA! Bonus!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT