ADVERTISEMENT

I Don't Follow College Basketball

Dr. Mirakle

Aug 21, 2013
But Wisconsin played a heck of a game tonight. Not following the sport I didn't realize there were so many Kentucky haters out there. Seems that way anyway. Will Duke be favored in the final game?

There will probably be a few more haters after the way some of the players acted post game.

I follow at a safe distance. The Kentucky haters may be specific to this team. "They" (media, coaches, fans, talking heads, experts) coronated this team months ago as the greatest collection of basketball talent since " The Dream Team ". That's always a dangerous burden to carry. The hatred is mostly a result of that and probably a good deal of distaste for John Calipari.

Wisconsin is a one point favorite right now.I could see that moving to-2 by tip

Originally posted by DeanOfSelection:

WI is still -1./51% of betting public is taking Badger, 49% Blue Devil
You are probably exact. But I don't see a difference between a 49% chance of rain and a 51% chance of rain. I also don't feel a difference when it is 49 degrees or 51 outside. But I am sure there is a difference in 49 and 51 when it comes to the money bet.

I couldn't name one player on either team. I don't know who plays better defense, etc. So, if I get it correct, in this example, it shows I don't have to. But if I get it wrong, it confirms all I know about College Basketball.

well the percentages tell me the line stays at -1....barring a last minute huge bet by a betting syndicate in vegas to shift line in order to bet the other way.

This is how silly people are over NCAA Basketball pools.

One of the companies I used to do some work with has an NFL season pool each year. Then they have an NCAA Basketball tournament pool as well. It is free to get in but they pay $500 to the winner $250 for second place and $100 for third.

I have done the NFL pool each year for the past few years. But I never got into the basketball pool because I never watch basketball and feel like I know pretty much nothing about the teams involved. This year I figured what the heck...I'd get in. I had nothing to lose. So, I picked the entire bracket, like everyone else.

I looked online and there were 100 people in the pool. I would say 99 of them probably know more than I do because I never watch or read about it. I picked based on seeds and teams I know were good in the past. I can't name one player's name in the whole tournament and have only heard of a few coaches. I did know Big 10 basketball is good and outside of Duke or maybe Kentucky I knew nothing else. I picked Duke to win it all from the start. I found myself far in the minority as most people picked Kentucky.

Well, I ended up in 5th place. No, it doesn't bother me at all that I didn't crack the top three. Actually I laughed at the finish. I wondered how much time some of the people I finished ahead of took when doing their bracket. I pretty much went right down it and picked the eventual winner.

I am not writing this to tell you how good I am. Quite the opposite. I am still laughing that a know nothing like me could finish so high. They are having a company meeting Thursday afternoon. I might go and let them know that a complete novice finished 5th. Hahaha!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT