ADVERTISEMENT

How will the DVC determine the winner if there is a tie?

JCHILLTOPPERS

May 29, 2001
A tie in the dvc is almost inevitable, right?

Anyone - Clown - know how such a tie would/will be broken?

The DVC football guidelines say ties are broken using a system that first looks at head-to-head competition, If that criteria does not break the tie, total point differential in games played is used (Maximum of 14 points) I assume this is designed to deter "running up the score" If still tied, fewest points allowed is listed. No further criteria are listed.

The DVC football guidelines say ties are broken using a system that first looks at head-to-head competition, If that criteria does not break the tie, total point differential in games played is used (Maximum of 14 points) I assume this is designed to deter "running up the score" If still tied, fewest points allowed is listed. No further criteria are listed.
Thanks... This could get fun

A tie in the dvc is almost inevitable, right?

Anyone - Clown - know how such a tie would/will be broken?
The tiebreakers are ONLY for determining an "official" champion so the IHSA can select a representative come playoff time. That team is guaranteed a playoff spot, and takes a place under "conference champions". Otherwise, it is meaningless and goes down as a tie in the DVC record books. The only way this would be relevant, is if one of the teams was 5-4 and didn't have enough playoff points. To date, that has never happened in the 40 year history of the DVC.

It has never gotten past head to head.

There was a three-way tie back in the late 1980's (1987?) between WN, Wheaton Central, and NN), so it did happen once. West Chicago was awarded the title, which nobody (to this day) understood.;)

Last edited:
Was that the strike year with the Wheaton schools? WC played 7 games went 5-2 and missed the play offs due to the forfeits at the beginning of the year.

Was that the strike year with the Wheaton schools? WC played 7 games went 5-2 and missed the play offs due to the forfeits at the beginning of the year.
That was 1985. The Wheaton schools had a teachers strike and forfeited their non-conference games, losing games they would have almost certainly won. All DVC teams took a hit, especially Naperville North. The Huskies (6-3) should have made the playoffs, but because of a lack of playoff points, they sat home. It would have been the first time NN made the playoffs. I think Jeff Thorne was the QB that year, his class was the one that put WC on the football map. Wheaton North was the powerhouse at the time.

i will bet dollars to donuts the DVC has to go past head to head this season.

nnfan - what do you think the best and worst case scenarios are fo NN's records this season?

i will bet dollars to donuts the DVC has to go past head to head this season.

nnfan - what do you think the best and worst case scenarios are fo NN's records this season?
don't know DVC expert level I would have NN at 3-6.

Just did a quick run thru I would guess:
WWS 7-2
GBN 6-3 my darkhorse bounce back year
WN 5-4 brutal schedule
Neq 5-4
Nap C 5-4
WV 4-5
Mat V 3-6
NN 3-6
LP 1-8

Last edited:
have whatever the issues were, and it sounded like there were issues, at WWS been resolved so that they can get back to being dominate?

This new DVC really harkens back for me to 1996 when the CMC formed. The initial Blue just a meat grinder. And you had a good team in Marian (still strong, had a won a title in '93, 2nd place in '99) who did not even make the playoffs where under normal circumstances were in at 7-2. They had to play MC's best team ever and a really good Rita back to back. LA was not at early 90's level but was still very good. Marist had their best team of 90's. You are gonna have someone like that who does not get in where normally they would be and probly win a game or 2 in playoffs-my guess it is Waubonsie.

This new DVC really harkens back for me to 1996 when the CMC formed. The initial Blue just a meat grinder. And you had a good team in Marian (still strong, had a won a title in '93, 2nd place in '99) who did not even make the playoffs where under normal circumstances were in at 7-2. They had to play MC's best team ever and a really good Rita back to back. LA was not at early 90's level but was still very good. Marist had their best team of 90's. You are gonna have someone like that who does not get in where normally they would be and probly win a game or 2 in playoffs-my guess it is Waubonsie.

don't forget carmel was hot then too.

Dean, what was...St Larrry's record in 93?

Shirtless fistfights on the banks of the Duper. Preferably in Churchill Woods.

6-3 reg season losses to MC SR DLS. 2nd round loss 6A so 7-4 and prep bowl first round loss to GT so 7-5 final record.
Didnt DLS beat MC in the playoffs that year? Had MC won, it wouldve been the greatest playoff run ever...except that whole loss to Belvidere. Its not every year someone gets to say they beat MC, JCA, and PC in the same playoff...

[edit]
forgot about the game against Richards... truly would have been the greatest run ever.

Last edited:
Didnt DLS beat MC in the playoffs that year? Had MC won, it wouldve been the greatest playoff run ever...except that whole loss to Belvidere. Its not every year someone gets to say they beat MC, JCA, and PC in the same playoff...
yes MC beat DLS in regular season 33-0. then lost to them playing their 3 rd game in a week cause of Wed playoff game 9-6 McNabb could barely walk.

have whatever the issues were, and it sounded like there were issues, at WWS been resolved so that they can get back to being dominate?
Has there been a lot of staff turnover? Does there need to be staff turnover, or have things gotten stale for all involved?

don't forget carmel was hot then too.

Dean, what was...St Larrry's record in 93?
Don't forget at the inception of the CMC, Com was in the 3rd division. Did not even play JC. JC did have PC in their division however. Case in point here as well with the loaded schedule: JC opens with MC's best team ever and plays a PC 14-0 "A " team. JC goes 6-3, makes the playoffs with a last second fg v DLS 16-15 early in year and gets to 5A final v MC. A kick away not even making the playoffs.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT