ADVERTISEMENT

How wil CoM be this season

JCHILLTOPPERS

May 29, 2001
Seems to me, this is a very important year for CoM.

Sophs this season were 5-2 (in conf.) with what looked like a capable offense and the frosh won their confernece.

meanwhile, this year's juniors were 3-4 in conference as sophs.

CoM finished 3rd in conference this past season, but objectively, the escc was as bad has it has been in probably 10 years this last go around.

So expecations should be high. The escc needs CoM to be a contender to be considered the second/thrid best conference. Can CoM compete for a title this season or is there something misleading about the lower class records?

Had a pretty young team on the varsity if I remember correctly bring back some big time athletes and confidence seemed to be pretty high for 2015

Originally posted by epicbret:
::paging COMRB::
roll.r191677.gif

The ESCC seemed like Nazareth and then several teams that were good, but not great last year.

Benet, JCA, Carmel, Marist, Viator and Woodstock Marian all need to get better to elevate league.

Originally posted by illini14:

The ESCC seemed like Nazareth and then several teams that were good, but not great last year.

Benet, JCA, Carmel, Marist, Viator and Woodstock Marian all need to get better to elevate league.
I think that is pretty accurate. I think...think, Naz takes a small step back this season - though still the favs. However, repeat state champions are not uncommon (good juniors contribute, junior glass gets 5 extra games vs good competition, etc).

ESCC still down, but I believe the conference improves from last year.

Back to the original question, CoM is always best when they have an excellent TE. the way they run the option, if that postion can block well, hug bonus...but also, because of they way they run the option, covering that TE down field is a problem...how is CoM at TE?

The key for Carmel - well a couple keys is who steps in to play quarterback? Huiras ran that offense well those are big shoes to fill. Rondell Jamison is back which is a grat place to start.

Defensively they will have to get tougher and more physical is they expect to compete for a playoff spot again. Tough early schedule with Waukesha West and Phillips. I could see them in the neighborhood of 6-3 or 7-2 maybe a playoff win or two.

I thought they were pretty pedestrian at QB last year, no offense to the kid.

If they could get more of a dynamic kid in there to run the option, that could be a pretty good offense considering there are 2 high end division 1 kids on the offense (Tackle and TE).

Originally posted by JCHILLTOPPERS:

Originally posted by illini14:

I think that is pretty accurate. I think...think, Naz takes a small step back this season - though still the favs. However, repeat state champions are not uncommon (good juniors contribute, junior glass gets 5 extra games vs good competition, etc).

ESCC still down, but I believe the conference improves from last year.

Back to the original question, CoM is always best when they have an excellent TE. the way they run the option, if that postion can block well, hug bonus...but also, because of they way they run the option, covering that TE down field is a problem...how is CoM at TE?
Disagree, after looking at everyone's returners. JCA has to be the favorite. Naz needs to replace an amazing Offensive Line. Defense could be very stingy though returns a lot.

I'm reserving my declarations for at least summer when I can see the kids on the hoof. Our defensive line will be nasty, but some kids need to step up big along the offensive front. These big boys know who they are, and I'm sure will rise to the occasion. Begins and ends on the line, even with Love and Ivory.

JCA is always the favorite in my mind, excepting last season and my first few years here when Naz was Rodney Dangerfield in my eyes.

What major football state has Sophomore football...for that matter other than IL what states have sophomore football. Everywhere I've ever been involved PA, CT, MA, TX, OH, FL, CA, and AZ only have Freshman, JV, and Varsity. I think this is the best model!

Originally posted by jwarigaku:
What major football state has Sophomore football...for that matter other than IL what states have sophomore football. Everywhere I've ever been involved PA, CT, MA, TX, OH, FL, CA, and AZ only have Freshman, JV, and Varsity. I think this is the best model!
Well you would have a chance of being correct if the lack of a Sophomore wasn't due to extremely low numbers.

Contrary to popular belief numbers are not low. The 2017 class may lack in overall numbers but certainly not in talent. I also expect to see kids come back from that class that decided not to play last year, internal additions from 2018 class after a State title and a very good size incoming 2019 class.

Now going back to my original question what others states have sophomore football. My next question would be why play another season of effectively freshman football when you can get the class used to playing at varsity speed and as your scout team, resulting in risking less injury to upperclassmen?

"Contrary to popular belief the numbers aren't low. The 2017 class may lack in overall numbers but certainly not in talent?"

Which is it? The numbers aren't low or the class may lack in overall numbers?

Isn't this a Carmel of Mundelein thread and not one on Nazareth football? Just curious

LCN,

I didn't start anything about Naz, but rather was correcting statements that misrepresented the program. The numbers are fine and the program is healthy. Shouldn't you have your 7th grader lifting with Varsity this morning?

It devolved into a state of the ESCC thread, and then into discussion of seventh grade lifting habits. I'm afraid of the future ITT.

QBC16,

Please elaborate on what you think you know and your source, mines pretty direct. I'm not a coach or faculty member but am sure of my description bring accurate. Don't try to pull this program down for your agenda, what ever it may be.

Originally posted by QBC16:
Wrong numbers aren't fine you are wrong. Very low freshmen #'s.
Naz will have over 40 freshman playing football. So if that is "low" by your standards. Then yes they are very low.

Jwar,

How many sophs did Naz have last year on the varsity / JV roster? Gotta believe with winning the ship and Racks as a coach has to be drawing kids.

I just know what I saw and it was poor numbers. Maybe 20 on freshman team. Maybe numbers will be better I don't know that but I know what I saw first hand! And as far as CoM will be since that is what this post was about. They should be solid. They have some athletes coming back and some good linemen. Defense was a hard hitting defense as well. They were always better with a QB like the Brennan kid, but you can't expect that every year. That kid was special.

This post was edited on 4/2 7:41 PM by QBC16

This post was edited on 4/6 3:18 PM by QBC16

QBC16,

Just to be clear there were 31 on the roster last year, when did you see them first hand? I do agree that CoM should be fine. I guess the Brennan brothers were quite the athletes there but it's tough to play football and especially QB at 5'6" unless you're hiding behind the line and playing hide and seek with the ball. Which brother and what made him so special at QB for CoM?

saw them in the final 3rd of the season. Maybe injuries or defections cost them some #'s, I don't know. They also were not very competitive. Brennan always seemed to make the right decision in the option which is huge. He always made those great decisions when it mattered most. And I will take a 5'6" quarterback running option who makes great decisions, is tough as nails and can make big plays. He also played with some good backs.

Originally posted by sundevil1988:
Jwar,

How many sophs did Naz have last year on the varsity / JV roster? Gotta believe with winning the ship and Racks as a coach has to be drawing kids.
13 sophs on Varsity, 4-5 started or played most the title game.

QBC16,

Again with the generalities! How about some specifics...what game did you see the freshmen play? There were no defections, and there are always injuries by "the last third of the season". Don't know what your agenda is but you seem to have one. Now going back to CoM which Brennan brother are you referring to? As you can tell when you're gonna talk I'll hold you to specifics not generalities.

Jwarigaku
No agenda just know what I saw week 6 v. Benet. As for Brennan kid, I can't recall first name. Around 2004/2005 maybe.
Been involved with ESCC for a long time and can't recall. Carmel will be better next year for sure. Thanks for the idle banter.

Originally posted by jwarigaku:
QBC16,

Again with the generalities! How about some specifics...what game did you see the freshmen play? There were no defections, and there are always injuries by "the last third of the season". Don't know what your agenda is but you seem to have one. Now going back to CoM which Brennan brother are you referring to? As you can tell when you're gonna talk I'll hold you to specifics not generalities.
I saw Naz frosh play against JCA and they were not good....nor was JCA for that matter. For the record Naz frosh were 0-7 and outscored 253-108

USD I saw what you saw. With Naz Frosh playing before varsity I was able to watch them on multiple occasions but it wasn't much of a treat. They were bad. They had one player I liked a lot but he had some issues putting it on the turf and didn't have much help. I have talked to my Naz guys numerous times and they are not concerned so I will have to defer to them. I guess in the games I saw their star LB was injured and some of their best athletes did not play for whatever reason but are playing this season. I'd be mightily concerned about numbers and talent down the road but none of the Naz guys I know are and neither are the posters here so we'll see. My sons mentioned they have a strong class coming in and despite rejecting a bunch of the best players in the area.

Originally posted by TPF523:

My sons mentioned they have a strong class coming in and despite rejecting a bunch of the best players in the area.
Can this really be possible? Rejecting a bunch of the best players in the area?

I'm sure Mt. Carmel is thankful for Naz's rejects if this is the case. Hopefully the landing is soft for these poor souls.

QB - John Brennan is The CoM qb who played in the mid 2000's. Brother Brian was the qb in late 2000's.

Originally posted by mchsalumni:

My sons mentioned they have a strong class coming in and despite rejecting a bunch of the best players in the area.

I'm sure Mt. Carmel is thankful for Naz's rejects if this is the case. Hopefully the landing is soft for these poor souls.
Yes it's true you actually have to pass the test.

Originally posted by godfthr53:

Originally posted by mchsalumni:

Yes it's true you actually have to pass the test.
Unlike at Driscoll. I just feel bad for these kids who won't get the opportunity. We should open an Edgy Suicide Hotline.

Honest question for all the Naz people, but why the thin skin? It seems every time there is any perceived sleight of Naz it goes to full on defense mode. You guys have a tremendous coach who has built a great program, is producing top flight talent, and most importantly won a state title- there is no need to get so defensive all the time. And I also don't see how you guys can't admit/see there is a numbers issue. Based on the roster on your website, there are only 56 total players returning from last year with only 27 of those being in the JR and SR to be classes. There is a ton of talent in that group but clearly there is an overall numbers issue in the upper classes. It looks to be better numbers wise for the class of 2018 and I suspect the incoming class will see a spike too with the state title but to try to act like everyone is crazy for suggesting their is a numbers issue makes no sense to me. Now all that being said Naz is probably still one of the top 2 favs to win the ESCC next year because of their combo of talent and coaching. But please Naz fans, just relax a bit!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT