ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Stadium -besides your own- to Watch a Game

DeanOfSelection

Gold Member
Sep 25, 2002
It has to be Morris for me. Especially in the Fall. Very scenic, town very supportive, ample parking, Divetwin is there. The whole experience wonderful I have gone twice. I also like Fremd quite a bit. Different atmosphere, I happen to like the progressive house/trance they blare so loud your ears bleed.

*GW gets the pub cause of Lucas and USA Today but terrible parking and not much visitor seating. Really overrated.

Fremd because of the student section and atmosphere. Great place to play. They march opposing team through student section when entering field.

Barrington - Great Stadium. Best high school scoreboard, awesome pork chop sandwiches
Lane Tech - Love the feel of the old stadium

LaSalle-Peru has a great set up. Was there for a playoff game and it was a great atmosphere. It is in a bowl with seating on only one side. Tons of tailgaiting and the fans are on top of the field. Just a real cool high school football experience......except for some bad memories, I agree on Morris.

LaSalle-Peru has a great set up. Was there for a playoff game and it was a great atmosphere. It is in a bowl with seating on only one side. Tons of tailgaiting and the fans are on top of the field. Just a real cool high school football experience......except for some bad memories, I agree on Morris.

yep. LSP - the Snake Pit.

Proviso West has an awesome Bbq that sometimes covers the field in smoke, a fun announcer that provides colorful commentary and plenty of parking.

Of course the 1/3 filled home stands is slightly depressing but the dance squad kills it so they have my vote.

Crystal Lake South.

Just to refresh your memories, the school switched the home side to opposite side, along the property line, adjacent to the small houses adjoining the school, then built a 50-foot-tall rack of bleachers and press box that towered over the homes at a cost of $1.2 million. When the locals objected, the school's response was "screw you, your zoning laws don't apply to us. PS: Your taxes are going up."
Realizing they probably went too far, the school then asked for a retroactive zoning permit, which was unanimously denied. The case is now before the Illinois Supreme Court.

If they allow this to stand, I suspect we'll have an arms race of high school stadia that we've never seen.

I like Lasalle-Peru's Howard Fellows Stadium, too. BTW, they have seating on both sides. Nothing on the ends though.

Marian Central, 100%. Great sightlines, no track, good seating. Food could be better, but the views and atmosphere are as good as it gets.

Reactions: lkhammer57
Went to Gately in 2010 to see Simeon vs Morgan Park, the place was jumping. Similar to a MC/Rita game @ Rita.
I also like games @ Bradley.
The OPRF stadium makes it enjoyable.
LZ is a nice venue when the student section is on.

I like Lasalle-Peru's Howard Fellows Stadium, too. BTW, they have seating on both sides. Nothing on the ends though.

Are the stands on the visitor side new? Unless my memory is really failing ,when JCA played there about 10-15 years ago, there was only bleachers on one side of the field.

It has to be Morris for me. Especially in the Fall. Very scenic, town very supportive, ample parking, Divetwin is there. The whole experience wonderful I have gone twice. I also like Fremd quite a bit. Different atmosphere, I happen to like the progressive house/trance they blare so loud your ears bleed.

*GW gets the pub cause of Lucas and USA Today but terrible parking and not much visitor seating. Really overrated.

Woodstock. Great H.S. Football atmosphere for day and night games. Terrific pork chop sandwiches too.

Are the stands on the visitor side new? Unless my memory is really failing ,when JCA played there about 10-15 years ago, there was only bleachers on one side of the field.

They've been there since at least 2004.

Dean.... You set me up on this one. I must go with the happy people and wonderful seating at Br Rice.

To me, a good place to watch a game is any field that doesn't have a track between the stands and the field. I know that's a tough thing to do, but at least put the sand pits for the long jumps in the end zone.

Dean.... You set me up on this one. I must go with the happy people and wonderful seating at Br Rice.

To me, a good place to watch a game is any field that doesn't have a track between the stands and the field. I know that's a tough thing to do, but at least put the sand pits for the long jumps in the end zone.

BR is a great place to watch a game. Just get there around midnight the night before and grab that spot at the top of the visitors bleachers on the fifty yard line. That way you won't have to arm and leg wrestle with the 44 other people that can fit in that row.

The OPRF stadium makes it enjoyable.
LZ is a nice venue when the student section is on.

I dunno Bones, I am not a fan of being shoehorned between the goal line and the 30 yd line in visitor bleachers at OPRF. People are great, but that 2013 GW-OPRF game ended 70 yards from the closest GW fan.

USD, that 2003 semifinal game had bleachers on both sides. The bleachers behind the LP side were much smaller though and I believe was mostly their student section. I believe they had a clever sign about God loving them for free or Homegrown or something that day. Anyway here is a link to some images from that day. The first one was the smaller LP bench side. The second and third pics are the larger bleachers behind the visitor bench that day.

http://ihsfw.com/2003_imgs/03week13/JC_v_LP/index.html

I dunno Bones, I am not a fan of being shoehorned between the goal line and the 30 yd line in visitor bleachers at OPRF. People are great, but that 2013 GW-OPRF game ended 70 yards from the closest GW fan.
Agree, the visiting side is awful.

USD, that 2003 semifinal game had bleachers on both sides. The bleachers behind the LP side were much smaller though and I believe was mostly their student section. I believe they had a clever sign about God loving them for free or Homegrown or something that day. Anyway here is a link to some images from that day. The first one was the smaller LP bench side. The second and third pics are the larger bleachers behind the visitor bench that day.

http://ihsfw.com/2003_imgs/03week13/JC_v_LP/index.html
I guess my memory is going!

Little MT Carmel in the snake pit is a very cool venue. Van Metre field down in Du Quoin was always fun back in the day, especially during their 26 year playoff streak. The video board at Edwardsville is also pretty cool to see during a high school game. Those are just a few off the top of my head.

NAZ on a Saturday morning/afternoon is always a good time. I also am a big fan of Neuqua Valley. I went there for the 12' 8a semi finals between NV and Mount Carmel. Crazy atmosphere, pretty good seating for both fans, and cant forget they were selling chick fil a at the concession stand.

From the Rice family - we apologize our visitor stands at our home field which is close by to the school and easy to get to aren't perfect and that we have a nice track for our kids which unfortunately seem to create an inconvenience for some of those in the visitor stands. However we are working to see if McAuley - which owns the property where we'd like to expand the stands will allow us to do so in the future so we can put in skyboxes for the likes of Feeto. In the meantime, until then we hope you will be understanding of our prioritization of this critical feature.

Reactions: feeto and NazDad
I also like Howard Fellows stadium at LP, but my favorite is in the same conference. Roscoe Eades Field in Sterling is like going to a beautiful small college game setting.

Glenbard West is always beautiful, Lake Zurich is a true madhouse when it's good, and I personally love Barrington (get to ref there week 9-looking forward to it)

St Charles East Fun atmosphere with an amazing press box

Glenbard West is always beautiful, Lake Zurich is a true madhouse when it's good, and I personally love Barrington (get to ref there week 9-looking forward to it)

Gooms - you're ref'ing now? since when? - will have to stop by Bronco stadium W9 to see at work - well done.

ADVERTISEMENT