ADVERTISEMENT

Edwardsville's AJ Espenesa

mc140

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Besides being a 4 star recruit with at least 15 BCS offers, in less than a month has become a nationally ranked thrower in the discus throwing 180 feet today. For those who know nothing about track, that is really hard to do.

Very inpressive - top outdoor throw in the state this far.

Edwardsville is a serious contender for the 3A state title in boys track.

Great kid and yes a absolute freak athletically, His Dad played for Iowa and I'd be shocked if he didn't wind up in Iowa City

Cahokia would win any class but yes they are 2A and should win that class easily.

Cahokia would NOT win any class however they are very strong in 2A. They have one of the best Jumpers in the Country with Ward however everything else is just a little about average. They win a lot of meets with depth which do not translate into qualifying based on 3A standards. To keep on pace with the topic, AJ does everything well. Just a good overall athlete. Edwardsville also got in a transfer Hurdler who might challenge Michl's before its all said and done.

They have the best long jump and triple jumper in the country and one of the top 110 and 300 hurdlers in Session. That's 40 points right there and it doesn't cover a 4x4 that is traditionally among the fastest in the state. Right now there isn't a team maybe other than Neuqua Valley that can boast that.

Between Ward and session that's a heckuva 1-2 duo

Hmm ... was thinking they were 3A.

But you have to forgive LHS, a guy from East Saint will never give credit to Cahokia.

Check this out:
http://stats.stlhighschoolsports.com/sports/trackboys/stats/default.php

Do a find for "cahokia" and you'll see they have up to five guys on the STL area honor roll for some events.

Impressive what the coach has done there!

Thy also have the highest collective GPA on their team this year than ever. That in and above itself is impressive. Very good chance we could see Jamari Ward in Rio next summer he's that good in the triple jump.

Originally posted by LHSTigers94:
Cahokia would NOT win any class however they are very strong in 2A. They have one of the best Jumpers in the Country with Ward however everything else is just a little about average. They win a lot of meets with depth which do not translate into qualifying based on 3A standards. To keep on pace with the topic, AJ does everything well. Just a good overall athlete. Edwardsville also got in a transfer Hurdler who might challenge Michl's before its all said and done.
Wining a team state title in track is not about the best team, it is about having a few elite athletes which Cahokia has. Plainfield Central took like 5th in their conference last year, but 6th in state due to the two really good kids they had. There should be a seperate team state for all sectional winners the week after like wrestling but that is a whole different topic.

Originally posted by LakeCtyNewt:
Thy also have the highest collective GPA on their team this year than ever. That in and above itself is impressive. Very good chance we could see Jamari Ward in Rio next summer he's that good in the triple jump.
That's probably the most impressive thing. Kudos to their coach

Lake,
They do have the best jumper as I stated earlier however Session hasn't beat his younger brother Session (Belleville East) outdoor. That may happen but is not guaranteed. He also hasn't beat Michl from E'ville who has ran a 37 in the 300 outdoor this year. That being said count Ward's 20pts but that is it. ESL 4x400 ran a 3:19 already this year and won the 4x400 3A last year. Those points aren't guaranteed. I will also add the kid from St. Rita beat all of them in the hurdles indoor. So my point is you can't say they would win most classes as I am pretty sure they won't. I am pretty sure if would have been tough for them to score points last year outside of the field events in 3A as none of the relays were able to win at ANY local track meets. The 4x400 battled with ESL a couple of times but ESL was just better. Now team point wise Cahokia is very deep so they will win most meets but a lot of those points wouldn't qualify in 3A. It's a huge difference.

Cru
I know a lot of the kids at Cahokia and I think Millsap does a heck of a job. I am also a realist. ESL drop to 2A one year and got 2. The same kids could only must 10 pts in the 4x400 in 3A the following year. Nothing personal, just happen to KNOW what's going on in Southern Illinois.

This post was edited on 4/10 12:54 PM by LHSTigers94

Mc

Couldn't agree with you more. Kahmari Montgomery will likely win the 100, 200 and maybe the 400 at state this year. That's 30 points which in most years would earn Plainfield Ctrl a trophy.

Agree it should be a true team title not a trophy to the school with one or two great kids.

Originally posted by JCHILLTOPPERS:
how does illinois track compare verse other states?
It is a top 10 state.

Florida, California and Texas are the best in various order every year. No one can touch Texas when it comes to the sprint relays (4x1,4x2).

As far as distance runners Illinois is one of the stronger states. Pretty good in jumps too. Short sprints not so much. Pretty much 800 on up.

The younger brother Session (Belleville East) 13.91 beat older brother Session (Cahokia) 14.34 at the West meet today.

And Cahokia win the meet easily. Almost doubled up second place. I stand by my comments.

Newt,
Not looking to argue but it's pretty difficult for a guy in 300 miles away to tell me about local track. I also know that e'ville nor West put anything close to what they would run in a sectional on the track. I also know that Milsap always go all out in this meet (Ward in 4 events) to win this meet. As stated before they will win most meet because they have depth. Over half of those points wouldn't qualify in the 3a sectional. I stand by mine and KNOW Cahokia wouldn't win 3A. They wouldn't have won it the last few years. Thats like me challenge you on the Lakes school by what I read in the paper. AJ, who has thrown 180 in the discuss did not throw. A lot of teams didn't go all out. Just a little local knowledge sir.

Here's a little knowledge as well 17 years of covering track in this state. Many of my fellow writers all over he state - dyestat mile split feel the same way . Too bad we won't know for sure since they won't see each other at state.

I'll still stand by my experience and knowledge of the sport. When you have a generational athlete like Jamari Ward - maybe a once in a lifetime kid, who could be a 40 pt kid at any class it's hard to build a case.

We will agree to disagree

I do agree Ward is exceptional and No ONe will out jump him. So we don't disagree on everything. I been around a little longer going back to guys like Chris Pulley at ESL. Going back to when ESL coach Malloyd was jumping 24', when Millsap was coaching at ESL and left because they would chose Whitfield when Davis retired vowing to destroy the ESL program. Pretty successful to date on his promise. No Ax to grind but have great knowledge as well. Again everyone you mentioned only see bits and pieces. I know Davis and Perry from Eville can both beat Atkins and McGill when it matters. I also know West has a Freshman that won the 100 in the 8th grade with a time of 11.01 FAT. They also have a Soph transfer from Althoff who can run under 11.00 FAT. The County Meet will show a little more as coaches usually flex their local Muscle coming down the stretch. We can chat about later as things unfold.

HE has had a terrific year. He currently is #2 Illinois behind Mike Prestigiacoma of Lake Park. Ricky Hurley of Cary Grove has also been over 180 of late too. Should make for a fun fun state meet next month.

Epenesa went up to Chicago for a meet and beat Prestigiacoma head to head this past weekend with a throw of 186'8. Edwardsville won the team title at that meet by 26 points and were missing two of their best runners.

Should be a fun state meet in a few weeks. Edwardsville definitely a contender for 3a title

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT