ADVERTISEMENT

Cutting a level?

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Been hearing this more and more from various high school coaches lately. No one that I'm aware of has this in the works....yet more and more coaches seem to be more than a bit concerned in the lower numbers so far at the freshmen level on top of the past few concussion scare classes.

Most coaches feel that a freshman level along with a true JV level (sophs and juniors not seeing playing tine on varsity) plus varsity is the best way to approach it if needed.

Thoughts?

Just moving here from AZ, and with ties back to TX I can confirm that they have the same concern over lower numbers with the incoming classes as well. AZ did exactly what you stated above by having a true JV where both sophomores and juniors could see playing time. So in effect a player could suit up for both JV and Varsity games in the same week with the limitation being that any player could not participate in more than 10 regular season games...regardless of classification. Provides the coaches with some needed roster flexibility as well as gives the players chances to compete at different levels and maximize playing time. Nothing is perfect, but thought the system worked fairly well.

Last edited:
I think schools that require a ton of commitment from fresh in the summer don't help themselves. I would also like to know how many schools that seriously struggle with numbers are pay to play.

They are way way down at Warren, but our youth program is way up. Hard to figure. Not sure if it's the concussion thing or if it's the fact the baby boomers aren't flocking to Gurnee any more.

I know LWE feeder programs (as of now before the closing) had to combine due to low numbers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT