ADVERTISEMENT

Could Closing a School be in LW's Future?

Oh okay. I am not originally from the area so I assumed your taxes were going up because of a new school.
District 204 is Neuqua, Metea, WVHS
District 2013 is Naperville North and Central

District 204 does have some Aurora kids but has a lot of Naperville kids enrolled.

Aurora and Bolingbrook feed district 204 along with Naperville.

Bolingbrook feeds into Neuqua. Also a small section of Bolingbrook also feeds into Naperville Central.

Metea was as I recall a 142 million project. 25 million of which was to come from the resale of the property the district originally bought at the corner of route 59 and 75th street which the district took a bath on.

The actual original plan prior to Metea was to expand neuqua and add room to house an additional 750 kids on the main campus which called for a 14 million dollar project. The balance would be at Waubonsie. Waubonsie freshman would have gone to what is now Fischer middle school. Would have saved the district over 100 million dollars. But people fell for the old bait and switch on the new schools location.

With the shrinking numbers of enrollment and funds shrinking rapidly from the state Illinois supporting schools, district 204 is in a financial crunch to say the least. District 204 teachers just rejected a new contract proposal that the district tried to float as a 3.27% raise when the reality the most senior teachers were getting a .474% raise or $500 dollars. The district tried to count in the 3.27% a 1.5% that was in the current contract that was promised 5 years ago. Also retired teacher insurance was removed.

The administration then turned around and gave itself a 2.09% raise for every administrator in district 204 which is compounded.

The reality of the situation football fans is that over 2000 teachers and support staff in district 204 are pissed off. Do not be shocked at all if the district goes on strike well into the coming school year. The rank and file are very United and tired of being a bargain being paid far less than their district 203 counterparts.

That means the upcoming fall sports are in real jeopardy for the first time I can ever recall. Do not be shocked at all if some sports end up forfeiting early games.

Pensions???? I think you skipped the fact that everyone you mentioned by group pays a significant portion of their paychecks into their pension fund. None of those groups are elgible for any social security in the state of Illinois.

What you skipped over was the state of Illinois raided the pension fund year after year after year taking funds to pay for their miss spending. They were obligated to repay the money's they took. It is close to 50 years now they have not fulfilled their obligation to repay the pension money's the state took that did not belong to them. Please tell the whole story. If the state actually had been fiscally responsible and did not take pension money's that did not belong to them this would not even be a topic.

http://www.illinoiscourts.gov/Opinions/SupremeCourt/2015/118585.pdf

Last edited:
Why would what the teachers in D203 are paid matter to the teachers in D204? The districts are totally different in life cycle and tax base, a better comparison would be how are they paid compared to Plainfield.

See to you and I makes no difference what we think. District 204 teachers went from making slightly more to making far less. Why well because district 204 board for many years built programs into theirs plans that the state would essentially pay them for. Well those days are gone. Where as district 203 board did not follow that path. the bulk of the tax base and new building boom took place south of 75th street. Far more so than district 203.

What anyone believes they should compare to is irrelevant. The per pupil ratio paid in district 204 is less but admin expenses are more.

DVC picked a heck of a year to add three schools that if this falls as many believe will. Three schools maybe missing games.

See to you and I makes no difference what we think. District 204 teachers went from making slightly more to making far less. Why well because district 204 board for many years built programs into theirs plans that the state would essentially pay them for. Well those days are gone. Where as district 203 board did not follow that path. the bulk of the tax base and new building boom took place south of 75th street. Far more so than district 203.

What anyone believes they should compare to is irrelevant. The per pupil ratio paid in district 204 is less but admin expenses are more.

DVC picked a heck of a year to add three schools that if this falls as many believe will. Three schools maybe missing games.
Who gets the forfeit win if 2 strike schools play each other.

Emergency memo from super and admin to union. Union not responding. Happened today.

Now it being floated out of 2100 staff approximately 250 are stipend positions. However district spends over 7 million on stipend positions. Gaining momentum to eliminate all stipend positions and use that for rank and file. Well now I guess if that flies you may have some more coaching openings to report.
Privatizing these opening may be looked at. District alrady did this with a middle school level sport across the board.

The shortfall will need to be met. Non essential programs may be cut.
Middle school sports
Freshman sports
Etc along with other non essentials.

Stay tuned this is going to get real interesting.

Emergency memo from super and admin to union. Union not responding. Happened today.

Now it being floated out of 2100 staff approximately 250 are stipend positions. However district spends over 7 million on stipend positions. Gaining momentum to eliminate all stipend positions and use that for rank and file. Well now I guess if that flies you may have some more coaching openings to report.
Privatizing these opening may be looked at. District alrady did this with a middle school level sport across the board.

The shortfall will need to be met. Non essential programs may be cut.
Middle school sports
Freshman sports
Etc along with other non essentials.

Stay tuned this is going to get real interesting.
Didn't D204 already cut all B teams for freshman sports a couple years back? Same issues, budget cuts.

Yes they did. Unfortunately cuts will have to go far deeper now. District is not in good financial shape no matter what the PR spin is

I suggest they assemble en masse in red t-shirts and strike for higher pay.
Refuse any attempts to apply any metrics whatsoever on whether the school is performing.
Then when a school is finally closed, call it racism.
Go on NPR, WTTW Chicago Tonight ... claim that it costs the same if the school is open or not.
Then vote the guy who did it back into office.
Then when the bank account is empty ...
Blame it on the only Republican who just got voted into office a few months prior.

#forward

Reactions: Dr. Mirakle
The LW's all have good teams with the kids spread across 4 schools, just wait until their spread around to only three. They should all fall into 7A playoffs when it's all said and done, same as playoffs last year except for West.

ADVERTISEMENT