ADVERTISEMENT

Controlled Scrimmage before season starts

mc140

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
The one thing I would like to see proposed and voted on is a controlled scrimmage the week before game 1 if teams wanted to do that. The vast majority of teams would get more out of working on game situations against another teams first string then against their own backups.

Reactions: Fortis2005
The one thing I would like to see proposed and voted on is a controlled scrimmage the week before game 1 if teams wanted to do that. The vast majority of teams would get more out of working on game situations against another teams first string then against their own backups.

I agree 200%. With the limited practice time and inability to get kids up to par quickly, this will allow coaches to somewhat protect players and themselves before the first game. It's nothing like watching a kid perform well all summer and the week or so leading up to the first game only to find out the kid is scared to death when facing a different opponent. I would be for allowing teams to compete at team camps during the summer as an alternate plan.

Id be fine with it but eliminate 7 on 7's. With all the extra work days over the summer most of the kids are up to speed by the time camp starts.

I think most coaches would likely be against this because the chance at injury would be too great before the season starts.

Don't see it happening anytime soon if ever

Reactions: AMBofQUAN
Id be fine with it but eliminate 7 on 7's. With all the extra work days over the summer most of the kids are up to speed by the time camp starts.

I think most coaches would likely be against this because the chance at injury would be too great before the season starts.

Don't see it happening anytime soon if ever

Injuries will happen regardless in my opinion. There is a bigger chance for injury week one when you have a kid that is not ready. Top teams and coaches don't really worry about injuries as they know it is part of the game. I look at states like Missouri, Ohio, Tennessee, and Indiana that all have scrimmage games and have the opinion that the scrimmages work out well. Missouri uses that Jamboree format. I think it would be huge plus. Most have a quick whistle so freak accidents really don't happen. Illinois is ultra conservative to have such good football. Not sure where all the fear come from.

Last edited:
I'm not fearful of it but by their very nature coaches in this state are conservative

Yes most states have one or two live controlled scrimmages prior to the season starting. They do it to prepare the kids better and I think in the end it actually reduces injuries as opposed to increasing them.

Reactions: ruwallydog
Let's do it, we already have one less regular season game than most other states do right now. This gives players' another opportunity to put themselves on film to better prepare for the season, and ultimately earn an opportunity to play in college.

Reactions: ruwallydog
ADVERTISEMENT