ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations to JRW----US Champions!

muggsy2

Aug 30, 2004
Congratulations to the Jackie Robinson West Little League team and coaches. For over two weeks, they represented the city of Chicago with class, poise and composure well beyond their years. Plus, they played a level of fundamental baseball that we only wish the White Sox and Cubs could do.

Think for a minute on how good you were in baseball at 11 or 12 years old. Now try playing in pressure games in front of crowds of over 20,000 fans and millions watching on TV worldwide. Oh, and face pitchers throwing close to 100 mph at you. Pretty easy, huh?

Never mind that ESPN and the other national media outlets are trying to make the kids into "urban pioneers", surviving in the "evil, dangerous streets on the south side of Chicago". We know Morgan Park is not an "at risk" community and these kids are going to go to great prep high schools and likely on to college. Every team member handled all of the media interviews and stories with aplomb and maturity.

To factor in ALL of these things and be the best team in the US, I think that we all owe them an acknowledgement of thanks.

Thanks for showing the world Chicago at its best---and thanks for allowing all of us to relive our youth at the highest level.

This summer, you are the KINGS of Chicago baseball!!

This post was edited on 8/25 12:08 AM by muggsy2

This post was edited on 8/25 12:11 AM by muggsy2

Agreed. They played with poise and composure beyond their years. I want to give props to the coaches, because as you said, they played great, fundamental baseball. That doesn't just happen. They were well schooled by an impressive group of coaches. Congrats JRW....you did Chicago and all of IL proud.

Really looking forward to Houston at MC. He is such a clutch hitter. A gamer. That team has such talent. I wish they could have played today and had Jackson going.

What an outstanding way to lead into HS Football season.

I certainly hope that all of those kids can keep playing baseball through High School and beyond. They are fun to watch. Unfortunately many kids don't continue with baseball, they concentrate on other sports or activities, get burned out or don't keep progressing. It would be a loss for the sport if any of these kids gave up the game.

These JRW kids gave a shot in the arm to all of baseball. I believe you may see a spike in participation going forward. Kids just saw that you can be successful and have fun too

THANK YOU JRW

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT