ADVERTISEMENT

Best two way player in IL history?

Is it dergo?

maybe that QB from MS a few years back...damn, what was his name!

Tyler Benz, teamed with two way star Matt Perez. One would have to say Dergo though. Played RB/LB, kicked off, punted, kicked fg/pat and also returned kicks and punts if I'm not mistaken.

Small school submission: Greg Turner was pretty much unstoppable at both WR and FS as well as returner.

Red Grange, Bill DeCorrevont, Otto Graham, Buddy Young, Dick Butkus, George Connor, Alex Agase and Luke Ford.

Reactions: TPF523
In the last Decade I'd go with Laquan Treadwell.
Came in to say this.
or Tez Wilson. Or who was that running back Hubbard had some years ago when Dale Martin was running rampant... Hughes, Robert Hughes. There was also that LB Hinsdale Central had several years back who also played QB. He was a monster.

just remembered, Brett Morse

Last edited:
I will second Greg Turner of Driscoll. He had Jordan-like qualities I've never seen from other great players. I remember in a playoff game against Burlington Central, Driscoll was up by 2 points in the last minute of the game.

Driscoll was on offense at their own 40-yard line with a 3rd and long. The DC QB threw an interception to Burlington Central's fastest player on the team and he was running down the sideline with nobody in sight. It looked like he had a clear TD.

Then from nowhere from the other side of the field Turner caught the BC player from behind at around the 10-yard line, reached around his back, chopped at the football with his right arm, the ball came out and Turner jumped on it to preserve the playoff victory and continue the streak of winning 7 consecutive years of playoff games and state championships.

This is the kind of play Turner would do often. He just was one of those players who refused to lose. He could win the game for you even when your team did not have the ball. How many other players can you say that about? Just amazing!

Going in the way back machine I will also nominate Jordan Westerkamp's father, Bob Westerkamp who was one of the top all-time wide receivers in the state and a great defensive back. He made a state record 5 interceptions in one playoff game (and one of the interceptions was made one-handed).

Wassup

Last edited:
Eric Kumerow OPRF... QB/ LB/ S....ends up as a defensive lineman at Ohio State and NFL

Reactions: USD24
25 plus years ago Kent Graham was a pretty special 2 way Illinois high school player .

strong safety / Qb

For recent vintage, nobody since 2010 has touched Justin Jackson. I forget precise years of the Dergo Phenomenon, but JJ might be the best since 2005.

We need a decade by decade list, but fist I need to know dergo's years. And I guess 2015 is just in my dreams...

2014-2005
2004-1995
1994-1985

etc...

Damnit, Dergo was 2005. Either way, JJ is the best two-way player since Dergo.

Damnit, Dergo was 2005. Either way, JJ is the best two-way player since Dergo.
Terry Hawthorne Senior year stats:
On defense FS (43 tackles 10 int 8 returned for TD)
Punt (Avg 45 yds per punt, 8 TD's from bad snaps or sneaks)
Punt Return (7 Returned for TD with another 4 called back)
Offense:
WR (1267 yds 26 TD's and 432 yds rushing with 4 TD's)

and a State Championship.

I think JJ was good and is one of the best since Dergo, but there is a strong case for Hawthorne, Treadwell, Perez that is in line with JJ. I will also add those 3 have state championships.

Also before you ask Hawthorne Junior year on offense was better then his senior year. On defense he didn't start until week 3 and he ended up with ( 38 tackles, solo and 6 int with 4 returned for TD)

Those defense and special team numbers are crazy. 15 Td's is gotta b a record
Terry Hawthorne Senior year stats:
On defense FS (43 tackles 10 int 8 returned for TD)
Punt (Avg 45 yds per punt, 8 TD's from bad snaps or sneaks)
Punt Return (7 Returned for TD with another 4 called back)
Offense:
WR (1267 yds 26 TD's and 432 yds rushing with 4 TD's)

and a State Championship.

I think JJ was good and is one of the best since Dergo, but there is a strong case for Hawthorne, Treadwell, Perez that is in line with JJ. I will also add those 3 have state championships.

Also before you ask Hawthorne Junior year on offense was better then his senior year. On defense he didn't start until week 3 and he ended up with ( 38 tackles, solo and 6 int with 4 returned for TD)

Those defense and special team numbers are crazy. 15 Td's is gotta b a record
Team Avg 40 plus points a game. Hawthorne accounted for an avg of 28 pts per game. During the playoff run in 2008 he had a pick six the first three games and a pick in the championship game. Against St Rita in the Qtrs he had a pick 6 to start the come back. 2 receiving touchdowns and a pick to end the game pushed out of bounds at St. Rita's 2 yard line. In case you are counting 1 against StL Returned for TD, 2 against La Salle either one or both returned for TD, 2 against Rita one returned for TD the other to the two, and one against Geneva. He also scored offensively in each game.

Take him off ESL, and they are still competitive. Without JJ... GN, notsomuch....

Very impressive stats by Hawkins and JJ was just terrific. Here are Greg Turner's stats....

*Three-time Class 4A state champion.

*Had 56 career touchdowns.

*Totaled 15 TDs to help team to state championship during junior year.

*Totaled 13 TDs on state titlist as sophomore.

*10 interceptions as free safety during his senior campaign.

*Played running back, wideout, free safety, and kick returner on 14-0 conference and Class 4A state champion as a senior.

*Two-year consensus all-stater selection

*Two-time state Player of the Year

Last edited:
6,531 career rushing yards
85 career Rushing TD
Two Time Gatorade Player of the Year
All-State or Area as a RB, DB and ATH
2012-2013 State Playoffs - 901 yards and 13 touchdowns on 166 carries to Title game
SR Year Defensive Stats (playing CB with nobody throwing his way) - 36 tackles, nine TFL, nine pass breakups and three interceptions
JR-SR Receiving - 35 catches for 504 yards 3 TD
Don't have his return numbers handy, but I know he housed at least 3 on his career, if not SR year alone

I can play the same stat reference game with JJ as any player. He's just as much a 3-way player as the others.

Add in he did all this in 8A (NOT 4A or 6A), on a far less complete team than Driscoll or ESL.

To add more, his unbelievable domination in HS carried over into a stellar true freshman campaign in the B1G Ten, earning FR AA honors. He didn't bulk up and have a great college career, he walked in essentially the same player he was that Spring, and ran for almost 1000. He was that good.

Also, not trying to disparage Hawthorne, Driscoll, or any of the MS kids. Just stating the JJ case

6,531 career rushing yards
85 career Rushing TD
Two Time Gatorade Player of the Year
All-State or Area as a RB, DB and ATH
2012-2013 State Playoffs - 901 yards and 13 touchdowns on 166 carries to Title game
SR Year Defensive Stats (playing CB with nobody throwing his way) - 36 tackles, nine TFL, nine pass breakups and three interceptions
JR-SR Receiving - 35 catches for 504 yards 3 TD
Don't have his return numbers handy, but I know he housed at least 3 on his career, if not SR year alone

I can play the same stat reference game with JJ as any player. He's just as much a 3-way player as the others.

Add in he did all this in 8A (NOT 4A or 6A), on a far less complete team than Driscoll or ESL.

To add more, his unbelievable domination in HS carried over into a stellar true freshman campaign in the B1G Ten, earning FR AA honors. He didn't bulk up and have a great college career, he walked in essentially the same player he was that Spring, and ran for almost 1000. He was that good.

Hawthorne switched from Receiver to CB as a true freshman and never looked back at Illinois starting all four years. Not leaving early cost his draft stock as well as his career. I agree JJ is great ball player but, to me there is no separation. Without either on their team, the season results would be completely different. They both are amazing players and I will add between 2007 and 2010 7A was arguably tougher than 8A.

Epic,
I know you aren't knocking any player as that is not your DNA. Just want to point out that another kid down south was JJ before JJ only difference was you didn't get to see him as often. Hawthorne pretty much beat Rita by themselves. That was a Rita team that would have won state had they not lost to ESL. Heck if Hawthorne just have an average game Rita would have won by 2 touchdowns. I am sure Rita fans still have nightmares about that comeback victory.

I hear ya
Best argument against JJ is Hawthorne . Personally just think the cast around Hawthorne was better, made his life easier. Same with Treadwell. That ESL team had numerous DI scholly kids IIRC. Treadwell had Lenoir and another sick defender.

All just chatter though, great seeing these numbers

ADVERTISEMENT